No. 27 Miami defeated No. 41 Nebraska 4-3 to kick off the 2011 NCAA Men’s Tennis Tournament at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex on Friday.
The Hurricanes fell behind early after losing the doubles point to start the day. Nebraska’s Benedikt Lindheim and Calin Paar defeated Miami’s Christian Blocker and Waylon Chin, 8-5, at No. 2 doubles and Huskers Christopher Aumueller and Andre Stenger defeated Hurricanes Omar Ally and Keith Crowley 8-6 to claim the doubles point.
Nebraska continued its run, earning the first singles point with Lindheim’s defeat of Chin to put the score at 2-0.
Miami won the next three matches, as Blocker defeated Paar at No. 2 singles, Eduardo Pavia beat Stenger at No. 4 singles and Diego Soto defeated Sebastian Florczyk at the No. 6 spot.
At No. 1 singles, Nebraska’s Aumueller tied the team score at 3-3 in his three-set defeat of Miami’s Crowley.
The match came down to No. 5 singles, where Miami’s Gabriel Flores took on Nebraska’s Tom Blackwell. In a three-set thriller in 88 degree heat, Flores took the first set in a tiebreaker (6), fell 6-4 in the second set and sealed the Hurricanes’ win at 6-2 in set three.
“It was a tough match, under the conditions—it was really hot,” said Miami head coach Mario Rincon. “Losing the doubles point, we knew we’d have our work cut out for us. Our guys knew they had an opportunity when the match was getting longer, we’ve been in this situation before. Our fight and our competitiveness helped us get through today. Our guys were tough, I’m so proud of them.”
The Hurricanes advance to play the winner of the Florida/South Carolina State match at 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 14.
“Whomever wins this next match is going to be a great challenge for us,” said Rincon “We want to compete our very best tomorrow to have an opportunity to win here.”
No. 27 Miami 4, No. 41 Nebraska 3
1. No. 65 Aumueller/Stenger (NU) def. Aly/Crowley (UM), 8-6*
2. Lindheim/Paar (NU) def. Blocker/Chin (UM), 8-5
3. Boney/Schulze (NU) led Ast/Pavia (UM), 7-6
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. No. 70 Christopher Aumueller (NU) def. Keith Crowley (UM), 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
2. Christian Blocker (UM) def. Calin Paar (NU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Benedikt Lindheim (NU) def. Waylon Chin (UM), 6-0, 6-1
4. Eduardo Pavia (UM) def. Andre Stenger (NU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
5. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Tom Blackwell (NU), 7-6(6), 4-6, 6-2*
6. Diego Soto (UM) def. Sebastian Florczyk (NU), 6-4, 7-6(1)
Order of Finish: 3,2,4,6,1,5