FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saturday, May 14, 2011
Univ. of Florida Communications Office
CONTACT: Kathy Cafazzo at 352-375-4683, ext. 6133
South Carolina Advances in NCAA Tournament with Defeat of Arizona
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – South Carolina defeated Arizona 4-2 to kick off the first round of the 2011 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships held at Linder Stadium at the Ring Tennis Complex on Saturday.
Arizona (15-7) won the doubles point to start the day after Natasha Marks and Lacey Smyth defeated South Carolina’s Anya Morgina and Dominika Kanakova at No. 1 doubles, 8-3, and Sarah Landsman and Kim Stubbe beat Miljana Jocic and Katerina Popova at No. 2 doubles, 8-6, to earn the point.
The teams came out to start singles play, but were forced off the court 40 minutes into action because of a rain delay that lasted six hours and six minutes.
The Gamecocks (14-10) came back fresh and strong with two consecutive singles wins from the fourth and sixth spots to go up 2-1. Arizona then earned a point at the No. 2 spot to tie the match at 2-2, but the Gamecocks followed with two more singles wins at Nos. 5 and 1 to seal the win.
“We didn’t come out very aggressive in the doubles, which has happened to us a lot this year, but we managed to come back in the singles and do well there,” South Carolina head coach Arlo Elkins said. “We won four of the five that we played and were even in the other one. It’s always a good win, but we know we will have to play better in the doubles tomorrow.”
South Carolina will play the winner of the Florida/South Carolina State match at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
“We have played both of these teams, so we feel we know both of their games pretty well,” Elkins said. “We will have to execute and play our tails off, whoever it is.”
NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships First Round
No. 35 South Carolina vs. No. 34 Arizona
Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex * Gainesville, Fla.
Saturday, May 14, 2011
Final Score: South Carolina d, Arizona, 4-2
1. Natasha Marks/ Lacey Smyth (UA) def. No. 40 Anya Morgina/Dominika Kanakova (USC), 8-3
2. Sarah Landsman/Kim Stubbe (UA) def. Miljana Jocic/Katerina Popova (USC), 8-6*
3. Dijana Stojic/Adriana Pereira (USC) def. Susan McRann/Jane Huh (UA), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. #44 Anya Morgina, SC, def. Natasha Marks, UA, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2*
2. Sarah Landsman, UA def. #96 Dijana Stojic, SC, 7-6, 6-1
3. Lacy Smyth, UA led Katerina Popova, SC, UA, 4-6, 6-2, 3-2 DNF
4. Dominika Kanakova, SC def. Kim Stubbe, UA, 6-4, 6-2
5. Adriana Pereira, SC, def. Susan Mc Rann, UA, 7-6(4), 6-3
6. Miljana Jocic, SC, def. Jane Huh, UA, 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 5, 1*
Updated Records: Arizona (15-7), South Carolina (14-10)
*indicates clinching doubles/dual match point