IT’S GREAT TO GO GREEN
- In association with partner Neutral Gator; the Gators held the first Carbon Neutral NCAA Football Game, first Carbon Neutral football season and first Carbon Neutral athletic department
- James W. “Bill” Heavener Football Complex; first LEED Platinum athletic facility in the country, first LEED Platinum Facility in the state of Florida
- Featured Athletic Program in NRDC Collegiate Game Changers Report – 8/26/13
- Fifteenth Collegiate Member of the Green Sports Alliance and first from the SEC to join
- Moving toward Zero Waste athletic events goal by unveiling composting along with recycling at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium during the 2013 season.
- Green Sports Alliance named UF a “Game Changer” – 1 of 10 Universities to receive such honor
GAMEDAY CHANGES AT BEN HILL GRIFFIN STADIUM
As opposed to fans having a trash receptacle and recycling receptacle when they walk to a waste area inside of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, they will in fact be walking up to labeled compostable and recyclable containers with pictures designating what products go into each. The compostable material will be hauled by WCA, the official waste partner of the Florida Gators to Watson C&D to be composted while the recyclable material will go to the WCA yard as it has in previous years. Efforts on the part of labeling, increased staffing of the Gator Green Team will be in place to assist spectators, and also to eliminate any contamination in the waste stream leaving Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.
GREEN TAILGATING TIPS
What You Can Do
- Know what is recyclable: glass and plastic bottles, aluminum cans; and what is NOT: red solo cups, cardboard, food items.
- Look for the self-service TailGator Green Team Recycling Stations in popular tailgating spots to pick up blue recycling bags for glass and plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
- TailGator Green Teams make the rounds on game days, handing out blue recycling bags for glass and plastic bottles and aluminum cans. When the bag is full, tie it closed and leave it next to a trash or recycling can for pick-up.
- Visit the Sustainable UF Fan Fest tent near gate to play games, learn about what UF and the Gators are doing to be more sustainable, and get green souvenirs!
- Carpool to your tailgate spot, and encourage visitors to ride the bus, ride a bike, or walk to come celebrate another Gator win with you.
- Buy tailgating supplies with recycled content, and in bulk. You’ll reduce packaging waste and probably save money!
- Buy local food: decrease food miles, your meal’s carbon footprint and support the local economy.
- Bring a reusable water bottle for tailgating
- When you do your tailgate shopping, bring your own reusable bags. They’re easier to carry and create less trash!
- Consider offsetting your travel to the game with Neutral Gator.