IT’S GREAT TO GO GREEN! What we’re doing:
- We are committed to the University’s Zero Waste Goal and work in partnership with the UF Office of Sustainability.
- In association with partner Neutral Gator, the Gators held the first Carbon Neutral NCAA Football Game, the first Carbon Neutral football season and are home to the first Carbon Neutral athletic department.
- The James W. “Bill” Heavener Football Complex is the first LEED Platinum athletic facility in the country, and the first LEED Platinum Facility in the state of Florida.
- The UF athletic program was recognized as one of 10 case studies of leadership in the Nation for the National Resources Defense Council’s Collegiate Game Changers Report – 8/26/13.
- UF was the fifteenth Collegiate Member of the Green Sports Alliance and the first university from the SEC to join.
- We are moving toward our goal of Zero Waste athletic events by utilizing composting along with recycling at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. 2013 marked the first season of the program, which resulted in a 78% landfill diversion rate by the last game of the season.
GAMEDAY CHANGES AT BEN HILL GRIFFIN STADIUM
As of 2013, every item sold inside the stadium is designated as either compostable or recyclable. Containers located throughout the stadium are labeled with signs and photos directing them to the appropriate location for their items. Compostable materials are hauled by waste partner WCA to Watson C&D to be turned into a nutrient-rich soil amendment. Everyone plays an important role in our goal to be the first Zero Waste stadium in the SEC. Please help us by taking an extra moment to make sure your waste is going into the right bin. It’s Great to Go Green!
GREEN TAILGATING TIPS
What You Can Do
- Know what is recyclable OUTSIDE of the stadium: glass and plastic bottles, aluminum cans; and what is NOT: red solo cups, cardboard, Styrofoam and food items.
- For popular tailgating spots further from the core of campus, look for the self-service TailGator Green Team Recycling Stations to pick up blue recycling bags for glass and plastic bottles and aluminum cans.
- TailGator Green Teams make the rounds on game days, handing out blue recycling bags for glass and plastic bottles and aluminum cans. When the bag is full, tie it closed and leave it next to a trash or recycling can for pick-up.
- Visit the Sustainable UF tent at Fan Fest to play games, win prizes, and learn how we’re helping athletics go green.
- Carpool to your tailgate spot, and encourage visitors to ride the bus, ride a bike, or walk to come cheer on the Gators with you.
- Buy tailgating supplies with recycled content, and in bulk. You’ll reduce packaging waste and save money!
- Buy locally sourced food: Decreasing the distance that your food has to travel will reduce your carbon footprint and support the local economy.
- Bring a reusable water bottle for tailgating. You can refill your bottle at a number of water fountains on campus, including inside the Reitz Union.
- When you do your tailgate shopping, bring your own reusable bags. They’re easier to carry and create less trash!
- Consider offsetting your travel to the game with Neutral Gator.