Friday August 29, 2014Florida Volleyball Adds Win No. 2 Friday With Sweep of Idaho
The No. 10 Gators are 2-0 after wins over Georgia Southern and Idaho Friday (Photo: Jim Burgess)
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- An electric night in the O’Dome capped off an undefeated 2-0 opening day for the No. 10 Gator volleyball team, as the Orange and Blue swept the Idaho Vandals 3-0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-13) in front of 3,423 Orange and Blue faithful for their second victory Friday.
Middles Simone Antwi (.476) and Rhamat Alhassan (.812) both stacked double-digit kills, with 13 each, while the dynamic duo also combined for four roofs up front. Antwi notched a team-best 15.0 points, while Alhassan (14.5) and sophomore outside hitter Alex Holston (11.0) joined her with double-digit points. Alhassan brought her season hitting efficiency to a staggering .792 after both of Friday’s tilts. Holston struck with a career-high four service aces, half of the Gators’ eight against the Vandals, rattling off two in a row in the second set.
The final day of Florida’s 2014 Active Ankle Challenge kicks off at noon in the O’Dome Saturday with Idaho vs. Georgia Southern, while the Gators and Oklahoma Sooners will clash at 2:30 p.m. prior to Gator football’s 7 p.m. kickoff against the Vandals. A parking shuttle
· In Friday’s first match against Georgia Southern, freshman Rhamat Alhassan became the first true Gator freshman to hit .750 or higher since middle blocker Cassandra Anderson (2008) registered a .909 (10-0-11) hitting efficiency in the 2008 NCAA Tournament against FAMU
· Alhassan bettered that with an .812 clip in UF’s victory over Idaho, bringing her two-game hitting efficiency to .792, as the first-year Gator is averaging 3.80 kills per set with no errors
· Alhassan additionally has a team-leading seven blocks to her name
· Simone Antwi’s 13 kills were just one shy of her career-best 14 and the junior is averaging 2.83 per set
· After the Vandals hit .242 as a team to make for an exciting 26-24 first set, the Gators limited their offensive production to .111 in set two and .115 in set three
· In addition to 38 assists, junior setter Mackenzie Dagostino notched a career-high three blocks
· Senior libero Taylor Unroe is averaging 3.0 digs/s through UF’s two game so far and paced the Orange and Blue with 11 against Idaho
· Freshman Carli Snyder hit .500 in the third set against Idaho Friday (3-1-4) and is hitting .400 through UF’s first two contests of the season
· Behind Alhassan and Antwi, Alex Holston and Živa Recek each had seven kills
· UF tallied 47 kills to Idaho’s 28
· As Florida settled in, the Orange and Blue were better with each set in both matches Friday, improving their hitting percentage from .080 the first set to .350 in the second and then .409 in the third set against Georgia Southern and then progressing .140, .325, .452 against Idaho
On the season-opening day:
"The challenge of this format is playing back-to-back matches in such a short period of time and so little preparation -- and playing a team that runs as fast an offense as Idaho does. The time between their setter and hitters is crazy fast, and it took us a while to catch up to the speed of it. Fortunately, our offense with our middles was on point tonight and that all had to do with the three seniors stabilizing the passer."
On Rhamat Alhassan’s progression:
"She went from zero to 60, is what she's done. From no volleyball to the MVP of the (USA) Junior National Team. She's 6-4 jumping 36 inches. There aren't a lot of players in the college game at that contact point--not women at that contact point. It's hard to defend. She's a very bright student and she takes that intelligence and work ethic to the court."
· Florida head coach Mary Wise now owns 797 career victories (797-147, .844), just three victories away from the 800-win milestone. Wise will be the fifth Division I female head coach – and the only active female head coach – to reach 800 career victories
FLORIDA | OKLAHOMA SERIES HISTORY
OKLAHOMA | AUGUST 30 | 2:30 P.M.
Gators lead series history, 2-0 (2-0 under head coach Mary Wise)
3-set: 2-0; 4-set: 0-0; 5-set: 0-0
Home: 2-0; Away: 0-0; Neutral: 0-0
· 1995 W 3-0 H 15-7, 15-13, 15-4
· 2007 W 3-0 H 30-24, 30-24, 36-34
MARKETING & PROMOTIONS
Florida vs. Oklahoma (Saturday, 2:30 p.m.)
· Giveaways: 2014 posters, schedule cards & key tags | Point Florida Cards | Active Ankle tape measures, based on available inventory from Friday (post match)
· FREE ADMISSION for fans with a valid UF vs. Idaho football ticket!
· Government Hall challenge!
· Post match autographs
· Active Ankle Challenge Post Match Awards Ceremony