Monday May 5, 2014No. 8 Florida Baseball Hosts No. 24 Mercer On Tuesday Night
Riding a six-game winning streak after sweeping No. 20 Alabama, No. 8 Florida (33-15) will welcome No. 24 Mercer (34-11) to McKethan Stadium at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.
The game against the Bears will be available on the Gator IMG Sports Network with Jeff Cardozo & Mick Hubert and will be streamed on GatorVision. Live stats for the game will be available on GatorZone.com and fans can also follow updates of each game on @GatorZoneBB, the official Twitter account of the Gator baseball team.
No. 24 Mercer (34-11) No. 8 Florida (33-15)
Tuesday: Brandon Barker, Sr., RHP (3-3, 3.49) TBA
QUICK HITS ABOUT THE GATORS
· Florida has a challenging four-game stretch at home this week, hosting Atlantic Sun leader No. 24 Mercer on Tuesday before defending SEC Champion Vanderbilt arrives for a three-game set starting on Thursday night.
· The Gators (33-15/18-6 SEC) notched their third-straight SEC sweep this past weekend by downing Western Division co-leader No. 20 Alabama by scores of 7-3, 4-3 and 13-3.
· Florida has matched its school-record streak of 11 SEC wins in a row set in 1968 and remains atop the standings with two series remaining.
· UF leads No. 14 Ole Miss (35-14/15-9 SEC) by three games in the overall and has a four-game advantage in the East over No. 10 Vanderbilt (36-12/14-10 SEC).
· Head coach Kevin O’Sullivan’s club batted .310 (31-for-100) on the weekend at Sewell-Thomas Stadium, enjoyed a 24-9 scoring advantage, drew 21 walks and registered a 3.00 ERA.
· Named the SEC Player of the Week on Monday, junior second baseman Casey Turgeon (.270, 29 RBI, 29 runs) batted a scorching .727 (8-for-11), with four walks, three runs, two RBI, two doubles and a pair of sacrifice hits.
· Freshman left fielder Ryan Larson (.250, 7 RBI) went 4-for-8 (.500) with three runs, sophomore center fielder Harrison Bader (.296, 21 runs, 17 RBI) hit .385 (5-for-13) with four RBI and two runs and first baseman/designated hitter Peter Alonso (.286, 25 RBI) was 3-for-8 (.375) with four walks.
· Freshman RHP Logan Shore (6-2, 1.62) claimed his third start in a row with six shutout innings in the series opener, freshman LHP A.J. Puk (4-2, 3.14) picked up Saturday’s win and freshman Kirby Snead (2-0, 2.78) notched the victory in the series finale.
· Eight of the nine Gator starters chipped in with at least one hit toward UF’s 16-hit outburst on Sunday, with Alonso (3-for-4, four RBI), Bader (3-for-6, two RBI, two runs), Larson (3-for-4, two runs) and Turgeon (2-for-4) turning in multiple-hit efforts.
· UF is 13-6 (.684) in one-run games this season, tying for the most wins in the nation in that category.
· With the sweep of No. 20 Alabama, Florida improved to 13-5 (.722) against ranked opponents this season, the most top-25 wins in the SEC.
· The Gators are 21-8 (.724) at McKethan Stadium this spring and have five regular-season contests left (Mercer, three against Vanderbilt, USF).
Head coach Kevin O’Sullivan has never faced Mercer as a head coach. The Gators hold a 30-28 edge over the Bears, including 26-9 in Gainesville. Mercer claimed the teams’ last encounter, 3-2, on Feb. 15, 2006.