Tuesday April 29, 2014UF Baseball's Aaron Rhodes Named SEC Pitcher of the Week For First Time
Florida sophomore right-hander Aaron Rhodes was chosen as the Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Week on Tuesday for the first time in his career after twirling a one-hit shutout against Missouri on Saturday afternoon. He became the first recipient from the Gators since right-hander Jonathon Crawford garnered the honor on April 1, 2013. Previously named as one of Louisville Slugger’s National Players of the Week, Rhodes was also recognized as a Top Performer in Week 11 on NCAA.com.
· Tossed a one-hit shutout in his third career start as Florida clinched its weekend series against Missouri on Saturday, 5-0
· Rhodes’ effort was the first complete game of the season for the Gators, as well as the first CG and the first CG shutout for UF since March 30, 2013 (Jonathon Crawford vs. Ole Miss)
· It was the fewest hits allowed in a complete game by a Florida pitcher since Crawford’s no-hitter against Bethune-Cookman in the NCAA Gainesville Regional on June 1, 2012
· Surrendered only a second-inning double and retired the final 18 Missouri hitters of the game
· Matched his career high of six strikeouts and the Tigers were 1-for-27 (.037) against him with two walks
· His previous career-best outing was a six-inning relief stint at Texas A&M on March 22 and his longest start was 5.1 innings versus Georgia on April 19
· Rhodes is 5-2 this year with a 2.08 ERA overall and is 3-1 with 1.84 ERA in league action
The No. 12 Gators (30-15/15-6 SEC) will face No. 20 Alabama (29-15/13-8 SEC) on Friday at 7:35 p.m. in Tuscaloosa. Jeff Cardozo and Steve Russell will call the action on the Gator IMG Sports Network. Live stats will be available on GatorZone.com and fans can also follow updates of each game on @GatorZoneBB, the official Twitter account of the Gator baseball team.