Sunday April 6, 2014Gators Earn Seventh SEC Win on Senior Day
The men's tennis team honors their two seniors, Mike Alford and Flo Diep.
The 15th-ranked Florida men’s tennis team tallied their seventh SEC win this afternoon with a 4-1 defeat of Ole Miss on Senior Day at Linder Stadium at the Ring Tennis Complex.
After honoring the team’s two seniors, Mike Alford and Florent Diep, both played a role in earning the conference win. Paired with sophomore Gordon Watson at No. 1 doubles, Diep earned his 40th-career doubles win with an 8-6 victory on court two that clinched the doubles point for Florida.
Ole Miss got on the board with a two-set victory at No. 1 singles followed by Alford, who fought back from an early deficit, taking the match in two sets at No. 6 singles.
Freshman Elliott Orkin bounced back from a first-set loss and decided the match for the Gators on court five.
Head Coach Bryan Shelton Says:
"We've got a lot more work to do and we have to keep working every single day. But, this group is committed to working hard. They're committed to doing the things it takes to be successful. They represented the Florida Gators well today.”
On senior Mike Alford
“Mike is the All-American guy. We talk about our core values, talk about passion, excellence, teamwork, commitment and all the things that make special student-athletes. And, this guy [Mike], he's got it all. And that's rare; it's rare for a guy to bring all of them to the table, but he does. I appreciate what Mike brings to this team."
On senior Florent Diep
“When I came in, we wanted to try to set the standard here at the University of Florida to be the program that is the model program for all other programs. That's one of the things we are shooting for here. We're not there yet, but we're working at it, and Flo is helping us get there, because he sets a standard. He sets the standard for doing the little things that it takes to have real success – success that will last. Not just a week, not just a season, but a lifetime.”
No. 15 Florida 4, Ole Miss 1
(1) Florent Diep/Gordon Watson (UF) def. No. 75 William Kallberg/Stefan Lindmark (OM) 8-6 [:51]
(2) Maxx Lipman/Elliott Orkin (UF) def. Nik Scholtz/Ricardo Jorge (OM) 8-6 [:53]*
(3) Mike Alford/Diego Hidalgo (UF) vs. Johan Backstrom/Joe Rogers (OM) 7-4, unfinished
Florida wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2*
(1) No. 16 Nik Scholtz (OM) def. No. 78 Gordon Watson (UF) 6-3, 6-2 [1:14]
(2) No. 108 Florent Diep (UF) vs. No. 102 William Kallberg (OM) 6-4, 1-6, 2-3 unfinished
(3) Maxx Lipman (UF) def. Stefan Lindmark (OM) 6-4, 6-4 [1:34]
(4) Diego Hidalgo (UF) vs. Johan Backstrom (OM) 6-3, 5-4 unfinished
(5) No. 79 Elliott Orkin (UF) def. Vinod Gowda (OM) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 [1:36]*
(6) Mike Alford (UF) def. Ricardo Jorge (OM) 7-5, 6-2 [1:31]
Order of finish: 1, 6, 3, 5*
Records: Florida 12-7 (7-3 SEC), Ole Miss 8-12 (3-8 SEC)
Up Next: The Gators conclude the 2013-14 regular season with two road games next weekend: Vanderbilt on Friday at 5 p.m. and Kentucky on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Follow the Gators: