Sunday March 30, 2014Gators Rebound with Sweep over LSU
Baton Rouge, La.
Baton Rouge, La.
After dropping the match at Arkansas on Friday, the No. 15 Florida men’s tennis team bounced back and blanked LSU, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon at Dub Robinson Stadium.
With dominant wins at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles, the Gators grabbed the early point over the Tigers. The momentum from the doubles point kept up into singles play as UF’s 79th-ranked freshman Elliott Orkin tallied another two-set conference win over LSU’s Tam Trinh on court six.
Florida senior Florent Diep, ranked No. 108 nationally, notched a win at No. 2 singles followed by freshman Maxx Lipman who clinched the Florida victory at No. 3 singles.
Shelton Says: “I’m very proud of how our guys dealt with the disappointment of losing at Arkansas. We played very well today throughout our lineup against LSU. Our guys were ready and executed. We learned some good lessons this weekend.”
No. 15 Florida 4, LSU 0
(1) Gordon Watson/Florent Diep (UF) def. No. 70 Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) 8-3*
(2) Chris Simpson/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Mike Alford/Diego Hidalgo (UF) 8-3
(3) Maxx Lipman/Elliott Orkin (UF) def. Andrew Korinek/Boris Arias (LSU) 8-2
Florida wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1*
(1) No. 78 Gordon Watson (UF) vs. No. 77 Chris Simpson (LSU) 7-6, 5-5, unfinished
(2) No. 108 Florent Diep (UF) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
(3) Maxx Lipman (UF) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 7-5, 6-2*
(4) Diego Hidalgo (UF) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
(5) Mike Alford (UF) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 7-6, 4-3, unfinished
(6) No. 79 Elliott Orkin (UF) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3*
Records: Florida 10-7 (5-3 SEC), LSU 11-10 (2-7 SEC)
Up Next: The Gators continue conference play on Friday as they take on Mississippi State in Starkville at 3 p.m.
Follow the Gators: