Friday March 28, 2014Gators Bounce Back with Impressive Win Over Arkansas, Oyen Wins 100th Singles Match
Sofie Oyen won her 100th career singles match and clinched the dual match victory for the Gators.
The Gators needed just 86 minutes to stage an impressive 4-0 victory against Arkansas and it was senior Sofie Oyen (Leopoldsburg, Belgium) who provided the clinching singles win at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex on Friday afternoon, when she earned her 100th career singles victory.
With rain in the forecast for the Gainesville area later in the day, the match was moved to a 2:40 p.m. start time and the decision was made to play singles matches first with the Perry Indoor Facility featuring three courts.
The Gators jumped out early on the majority of the singles courts, with freshman Kourtney Keegan (Roswell, Ga.) needing just 21 minutes to win her first set and eventually 49 total minutes to produce a 6-1, 6-1 win on court five that gave Florida a quick 1-0 lead.
Florida followed with straight-set singles victories from seniors Olivia Janowicz (Palm Bay, Fla.), Alexandra Cercone (Seminole, Fla.) and Oyen, as the Gators shook off Sunday’s setback at Alabama.
Oyen clinched the dual match win, 6-4, 6-2, and became the 27th Gator to win 100 career singles matches and joins fellow seniors Janowicz and Cercone in the century milestone club.
· UF Head Coach Roland Thornqvist: http://youtu.be/5O6UPnl-SdY
· Freshman Kourtney Keegan: http://youtu.be/HCnIQyreels
No Place Like Home
· The win was Florida’s 128th consecutive home victory.
· The win streak is the longest active run of any NCAA Division I women’s team in any sport.
· The streak includes 21 postseason wins (SEC and NCAA Tournament).
· The victory also was UF’s 131st straight regular-season win at home.
At Home vs. SEC
· The Gators improved to 188-1 all-time at home against SEC teams.
· UF has won 80 consecutive home matches against SEC teams.
Oyen’s Milestone Win
· Senior Sofie Oyen defeated Oleksandra Shkorupeieva, 6-4, 6-2, in 1:26 on court for her 100th career singles victory.
· Oyen’s career singles record stands at 100-36.
· Oyen is the 27th Gator to win 100 career singles matches.
· Oyen joins seniors Olivia Janowicz and Alexandra Cercone in the 100-win category.
Mother Nature Takes Charge
· Due to the weather forecast in the Gainesville area, the match began at 2:40 p.m. instead of the originally planned time of 5 p.m.
· Singles matches were contested first, as the Perry Indoor Facility features three courts.
Quoting UF Head Coach Roland Thornqvist:
General thoughts on the win:
· “It was especially nice to play at home, we haven’t played here since the beginning of March. The freshmen did really well. Kourtney (Keegan) finished in under 50 minutes and was as clean as a whistle. It was a great bounce-back match from last week. To be able to shake that off as a youngster, was nice to be able to see. Stefani (Stojic), even though she didn’t get to finish, did really well on court six. She held onto the ball well, moved well. Overall, I was very, very pleased.”
On Sunday’s match against LSU:
· “They like to play outside, much like the Gators. I think the rallies will be long, the pace not as great. It will be slower. Hopefully, the weather will be nice and we’ll see the sun for a change here. We need to be really ready for extended rallies.”
No. 45 Arkansas at No. 4 Florida
Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex
Final: Florida 4, Arkansas 0
Doubles (order of finish: did not play)
1. Olivia Janowicz/Kourtney Keegan (37), UF vs. Brittany Huxley/Kimberley-Ann Surin, AR
2. Sofie Oyen (20)/Belinda Woolcock (20), UF vs. Yang Pang/Oleksandra Shkorupeieva, AR
3. Alexandra Cercone/Brianna Morgan, UF vs. Shannon Hudson/Sarah McLean, AR
Singles (order of finish: 5, 2, 4, 3)
1. Brianna Morgan (17), UF vs. Shannon Hudson, AR, 6-3, 2-1 DNF
2. Olivia Janowicz (10), UF d. Sarah McLean, AR, 6-1, 6-2
3. Sofie Oyen (38), UF d. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva, AR, 6-4, 6-2*
4. Alexandra Cercone (23), UF d. Kimberley-Ann Surin, AR, 6-0, 6-2
5. Kourtney Keegan (53), UF d. Brittany Huxley, AR, 6-1, 6-1
6. Stefani Stojic, UF vs. Flavia Araujo, AR, 6-4, 2-1 DNF
Records: Florida 14-4, 6-2 SEC … Arkansas 12-11, 2-7 SEC
*clinching dual match win
Next Gator Match:
· When: Sunday, March 30, 1 p.m.
· Where: Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex * Gainesville, Fla.
· Who: No. 49 LSU
· Worth Noting: LSU head coach Julia (Scaringe) Sell was a senior on the Gator’s 2003 NCAA championship team that won the national title in Gainesville
· Admission: FREE!
o Free Drink Voucher - The first 100 fans in attendance will receive a voucher for a free soda
o Post-match Clinic
o Kid's Club Day - Kid's Korner- face painting, poster making and pictures with Alberta
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s tennis:
Official Website: http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/