Friday March 21, 2014No. 16 Florida Men's Tennis Sweeps Auburn, 4-0
Sophomore Diego Hidalgo clinched the Florida victory over Auburn.
The No. 16 Florida men’s tennis team blanked SEC-foe Auburn, 4-0, on Friday evening at the Ring Tennis Complex.
Florida senior duo Mike Alford and Florent Diep started it off for the Gators by winning a tiebreaker to clinch the doubles point at court two (Watch Here).
The bottom of the Gators singles lineup delivered this evening as courts four, five and six all finished within three minutes of each other. Alford dominated at No. 5 singles with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Auburn’s Joseph Van Dooren. Freshman Elliott Orkin notched a win at No. 6 followed immediately by sophomore Diego Hidalgo, who clinched the match for the Orange and Blue with a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Tigers’ Petar Tomic on court four.
Shelton Says: “I was really pleased that our guys were able to step up in the important moments in doubles. It was great to get Spencer in there with Diego and for them to get a win right off the bat. For Mike and Flo, being up a break and then losing, and then being up 5-0 in the tiebreaker and then it was 5-all, I think we really showed some toughness there at the end of doubles play. We were able to carry that momentum that Flo and Mike got us from the doubles point into singles. Mike stormed through at No. 5 singles and obviously, that was important. Elliott and Diego followed suit pretty quickly afterward. Overall, I thought we were pretty sharp on all courts and we competed really well again today. It was a good win over a very good Auburn team.”
No. 16 Florida 4, Auburn 0
(1) Daniel Cochrane/Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. No. 11 Elliott Orkin/Gordon Watson (UF) 8-5 [:52]
(2) Mike Alford/Florent Diep (UF) def. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lukas Ollert (AU) 8-7 (5) [1:12]*
(3) Diego Hidalgo/Spencer Newman (UF) def. Dante Saleh/Petar Tomic (AU) 8-2 [:50]
Florida wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
(1) No. 106 Gordon Watson (UF) vs. No. 95 Daniel Cochrane (AU) 5-7, 3-1, unfinished
(2) Florent Diep (UF) vs. Lukas Ollert (AU) 6-6, unfinished
(3) No. 85 Spencer Newman (UF) vs. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
(4) Diego Hidalgo (UF) def. Dante Saleh (AU) 6-2, 6-2 [1:13]*
(5) Mike Alford (UF) def. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-4, 6-1 [1:10]
(6) Elliott Orkin (UF) def. Petar Tomic (AU) 6-2, 6-2 [1:12]
Order of finish: 5, 6, 4*
Records: Florida 8-6/3-2 SEC, Auburn 14-6/4-2 SEC
Up Next: The Gators continue SEC play at home on Sunday, March 23 against Alabama at 1 p.m..
Follow the Gators: