Monday March 17, 2014Florida Baseball Hosts No. 1 Florida State on Tuesday Night
Florida (13-7) and No. 1 Florida State (17-2) will tangle for the first time in 2014 at McKethan Stadium on Tuesday night. After the meeting in Gainesville, the Sunshine State rivals will also play in Jacksonville on March 25 and in Tallahassee on April 8.
The game will be available on GatorVision through GatorZone.com and on the Gator IMG Sports Network with Jeff Cardozo and Steve Russell. It will also be carried on Sun Sports in North/Central Florida only with Nick Belmonte and Mick Hubert at 7 p.m. Live stats for the game will be available on GatorZone.com and fans can also follow updates of each game on @GatorZoneBB, the official Twitter account of the Gator baseball team.
Florida (13-7) Florida State (17-2)
Tuesday: Danny Young, So., LHP (2-0, 3.00) Peter Miller, Sr., RHP (1-0, 8.68)
QUICK HITS ABOUT THE GATORS
· Florida kicked off the 30-game SEC schedule by taking two of three games from Western Division rival Arkansas at home. The Gators claimed a pair of one-run games, 2-1 and 1-0, to clinch the series but then saw their season-high seven-game winning streak end with a 9-3 setback on Sunday.
· Tuesday’s night contest between UF & FSU will mark the teams’ 101st meeting in Gainesville, with the Gators holding 53-47 (.530) edge.
· The Gators are 1-2 (.333) versus ranked opponents this year after dropping a couple of games during their series at Miami (FL) (4-6, 2-5, 6-4).
· Junior Braden Mattson batted .500 (5-for-10) in his first SEC action and enters the week on a five-game hitting streak in which he is 8-for-18 (.444) with four RBI and two runs. On the year, he is 11-for-21 (.524) with RISP and 8 of his 13 RBI have come with two out.
· Returning to the lineup on Sunday after missing the first 19 games of the season, sophomore OF Harrison Bader went 2-for-4 with a double and boosted his hitting streak to 10 games dating back to last year. He was 4-for-11 (.364) with four runs against Florida State last season.
· Freshman RHP Logan Shore (1-1, 0.68) collected his first collegiate win in UF’s 2-1 decision over Arkansas on Friday and has given up just two ER in a team-high 26.1 innings, with 21 strikeouts and four walks.
· After 10 relief appearances, sophomore RHP Eric Hanhold (3-1, 1.93) drew the Saturday night start against Arkansas and twirled five shutout innings to earn his first career SEC victory.
· Junior RHP Ryan Harris (1-0, 0.73) has a team-leading three saves and has played a role in three of the Gators’ four shutouts this season.
· During its seven-game winning streak, Florida’s pitchers compiled a 1.61 ERA, with 64 K in 67 IP and an opponent average of .211.
· On the season, Gator relievers are 9-1 with 8 saves and a 3.00 ERA in 96 innings, with 87 K and 28 BB.
· Freshman Peter Alonso (.277), whose homer provided the winning margin in the second meeting with Arkansas, has reached base in 10-of-15 (.667) opportunities as a leadoff hitter.
· After making 3 starts in the weekend rotation, junior LHP Bobby Poyner (3-2, 2.21, 19 K in 20.1 IP) has 6 scoreless relief outings in a row.
· Freshman LHP Kirby Snead (0-0, 3.86) has made 11 appearances and has 5 strikeouts in 4.2 IP. Foes are 2-for-10 (.200) with runners on base.
· After 6 innings this year, Florida is 7-0 (1.000) when leading, 1-7 (.125) when trailing and 5-0 (1.000) when tied.
· The Gators are 6-1 (.857) in 1-run games already after going 7-10 (.412) in that category in 2013.
· UF has 39 extra-bases hits this season - 31 doubles, 5 homers and 3 triples - and is 12-for-19 (.632) on stolen-base opportunities.
· The duo of sophomore Richie Martin (SS) and Casey Turgeon (2B) has started all 20 games at their respective positions.
· Martin (.313, 18 R) is hitting .343 (12-for-35) against lefties and .292 (14-for-48) against righties. He leads the Gators with 9 multi-hit games.
Florida State holds a 125-101-1 (.553) advantage in the all-time series, while Florida enjoys a 53-47 (.530) edge in Gainesville. Head coach Kevin O’Sullivan is 9-13 (.409) against Florida State, 5-1 (.833) in Gainesville, 3-4 (.429) in Tallahassee and 1-8 (.111) at neutral sites.
LAST MEETING BETWEEN GATORS & SEMINOLES
Josh Tobias snapped a 3-3 tie with a sacrifice fly in the ninth inning to drive in Bader with the decisive run as Florida edged No. 7 Florida State, 4-3, in front of a crowd of 6,719 fans on April 9, 2013, at Dick Howser Stadium, the fifth-largest crowd in school history. It marked the second year in a row that the Gators had emerged victorious in Tallahassee.
Bader (2-for-4, three runs) had reached on a leadoff throwing error, taken second on the play and gone to third on a failed pickoff attempt. Tobias’ second sac fly of the year moved the Gators in front and Daniel Gibson retired the Seminoles in order in the ninth to collect his first win of the season and help UF take the finale of the teams’ regular-season meetings after coming up short in the first two outings.
Martin doubled his RBI output on the season by driving in a career-best two runs and Taylor Gushue raised his hitting streak to 10 games with a leadoff single in the fourth inning. In his first start since March 13, 2012, against FSU, Bobby Poyner matched his career high of four innings (4 H, 1 R, 3 K).