Thursday March 13, 2014No. 16 Gators to Host 42nd Annual SunTrust Gators Women's Golf Invitational
The 16th-ranked Florida women’s golf team will host 14 teams at the 42nd-annual SunTrust Gator Women’s Golf Invitational this weekend – UF’s only home event of the season.
Last spring, Florida took third place, five strokes behind eventual winner and then-No. 2 Alabama. Their team tournament score of 870 was the ninth best in the history of the event. The 2013 Gators were paced by senior Elcin Ulu, who carded a total 215 (+5) and tied for sixth individually, and junior Camilla Hedberg, who grabbed a top-10 individual finish with a final score of 217 (+7).
UF has claimed the Gator Women’s Golf Invitational title seven times in the last 12 years, with 17 titles overall.
The tournament is being held at the Gators’ home course, the par-70, 6,002-yard Mark Bostick Golf Course at the University of Florida, March 14-16.
Friday: 9 a.m. – 11:06 a.m. off of holes #1 and #10, 18 holes
Saturday: 9 a.m. – 11:06 a.m. off of holes #1 and #10, 18 holes
Sunday: Shotgun start at 9 a.m., 18 holes
· Maria Torres: With a personal-best performance at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate last month, Torres represents the only freshman in Florida’s top five.
· Sarah Schober: Schober earned a top spot for the Gators in her first-ever home tournament donning the Orange and Blue.
· Camilla Hedberg: Finishing in the top-10 individually at the 2013 SunTrust Gator Women’s Invitational, Hedberg takes on the familiar course for the third year in a row.
· Katie Mitchell: Mitchell continues her streak of making the UF lineup in every tournament, competing in the four spot at the Gator Invite.
· Elcin Ulu: As the lone senior on the Gators squad, Ulu takes her last shot at the Mark Bostick Golf Course this weekend.
Head Coach Emily Glaser Says: “We’re excited. We only get to play at home once a year, so it’s a big week for us. I know the girls are really excited and working hard. We get to play a golf course that we’re really familiar with and that we play week-in and week-out, so we’ll have a lot of parents in this week, a lot of fans that get to see us play. Sometimes, this is their only opportunity to see us play all year, so it’s a real feel-good week for us. Obviously, the girls want to play well, so we’ll talk a little bit this week about managing expectations, since there’s always a little more pressure playing at home – especially for us because we only do it once a year. It’s a big week for us, we’re excited and at this point, just ready to get started.”
“We should have an advantage just because, with the greens especially, we play on them all the time, so we know some of those nuances that teams coming in may not know. But, at the same, you still have to get the ball in the hole. It’s taking it one shot at a time and just making sure we cross our t’s and dot our i’s going into the weekend and just go play.”
Tournament Field (Golf World/WGCA Coaches’ Poll rankings):
*Two individuals from Houston will participate in the tournament.
Follow the Gators: Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com. A complete recap with results will be posted on GatorZone.com following the day’s play.