Wednesday March 12, 2014Gators Tie Three Program Records in Win Over Winthrop
Shannon Gilroy and the No. 4 Florida lacrosse team tied three program records during their 21-5 defeat of Winthrop on Wednesday evening at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Gilroy scored four free-position goals, which tied the Florida record most FPGs in a single game. As a team, the Gators scored seven free-position goals and turned the ball over just five times, tying both program single-game records.
Florida took control quickly, cruising to a 9-1 lead in the first 10 minutes of the game. Gilroy led all scorers with five points, and a total of 11 Gators found the back of the net. After working their way to a 17-3 lead before halftime, the Gators slowed the pace of the game in the second stanza, outscoring the Eagles 4-2.
NUMBERS OF NOTE
· Shannon Gilroy scored five goals, four of which were free-position goals. Gilroy tied the program record for FPGs in a game, making this the fifth program record she has set or tied this season.
· Taylor Bresnahan picked up a season-high six draw controls, while also contributing a goal, an assist, a ground ball and a caused turnover.
· Devon Schneider notched three goals off three shots.
· Sammi Burgess tallied two goals and an assist for three points, while also picking up a ground ball.
· Carli Marsh tied her season high of two goals and also recorded a ground ball and a caused turnover.
· Chloe O’Haire notched a season-high two goals and picked up a draw control.
· Mollie Stevens tallied two goals and two ground balls for the Gators.
· Nora Barry contributed a goal, two draw controls, a ground ball and a caused turnover.
· Angela Flister recorded her first start of the season and also scored her first goal of the year. Flister also notched two ground balls and a caused turnover.
· Darcy Messina scored a goal and dished out an assist to finish the night with two points.
· Carly Ross tallied a goal and a caused turnover.
· Lauren Lea dished out an assist, picked up two draw controls and caused her first turnover of the season.
· Alex Puller picked up a season-high three draw controls, while tallying an assist and a ground ball.
· The Gators scored seven free-position goals, tying a program single-game record which was set against High Point on Feb. 15, 2014.
· Florida committed a season-low five turnovers, also tying the program single-game record.
· Florida held Winthrop to just 10 shots, a season low for Gator opponents.
Florida improves to 8-1 on the season, while Winthrop moves to 2-4 for the season.
This was the first meeting between Florida and Winthrop, with the Gators taking a 1-0 advantage.
“It was another great team win tonight; I thought Winthrop came out and competed really hard. Again we saw lots of different scorers for us. I thought Taylor (Bresnahan) played really well. She did well defensively, on the draw and transitioning the ball into the offensive end.”
Next up, the No. 4 Gators will travel to face No. 3/2 Syracuse on Saturday, March 15 at 12 p.m.
For all of the latest information on Florida lacrosse, please log on to www.GatorZone.com/lacrosse or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow Florida lacrosse on Twitter at @GatorZoneLAX or www.twitter.com/GatorZoneLAX. You can also find the Gators on Facebook.