Tuesday March 4, 2014Barry, Gators Mount Late Comeback to Defeat Loyola, 14-13
Junior Nora Barry and the No. 5 Florida lacrosse team overcame a four-goal deficit to rally and defeat No. 13 Loyola, 14-13, on Tuesday afternoon at Ridley Athletic Complex. Barry led the Gators with a season-high five goals; most importantly, finding the back of the net with the game-winning goal with 37 seconds on the clock.
Florida led by three, 9-6, with 21:20 left to play and looked poised to run away with the game, much like they have all season. However, Loyola increased the intensity of the game and scored seven straight goals to take a 13-9 lead with 12:21 remaining.
The Florida offense was sparked by a goal from Shannon Gilroy with 11:45 on the clock and the Gators proceeded to score the final four points of the game. Barry scored her 100th career point to tie the score at 13-13 with 4:22 to play and after running a stall offense, scored the game winning goal to seal the victory.
NUMBERS OF NOTE
· Nora Barry tallied a season-high five goals, including her 100th career point and the game winning goal. She also registered two ground balls and two caused turnovers.
· Shannon Gilroy scored four goals and added two assists for a team-leading six points. She also had a three draw controls, a ground ball and two caused turnovers.
· Carly Ross notched three goals and an assist for four points, while recording two draw controls, two caused turnovers and a ground ball.
· Sammi Burgess rounded out the scoring for Florida with two goals and an assist, while also picking up a draw control.
· Taylor Bresnahan picked up a career-high three draw controls and added a ground ball.
· Sam Darcangelo tallied a season-high five draw controls and added a season-high-tying two ground balls.
· Mary-Sean Wilcox picked up the first win of her career, entering the game with 15 minutes remaining and allowing just two goals.
Florida improves to 6-1 on the season, while Loyola moves to 2-3.
Florida owns a 2-0 advantage over Loyola and now has a 1-0 record against the Greyhounds in Baltimore, Md.
“First off, I have to compliment Loyola on a tremendous game. I thought our team remained extremely composed, despite being down four points. They stuck it out as a team and worked really hard for the comeback. I thought Mary-Sean did a great job coming in with 15 minutes left in the game. Nora Barry was unbelievable today, not just the game-winner, but everything else she did for us. Shannon (Gilroy), Carly (Ross) and Sammi (Burgess) all did really well on offense today as well.”
Florida will return home to start American Lacrosse Conference play on Saturday, March 8 at 1 p.m., when they host Michigan.
For all of the latest information on Florida lacrosse, please log on to www.GatorZone.com/lacrosse or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow Florida lacrosse on Twitter at @GatorZoneLAX or www.twitter.com/GatorZoneLAX. You can also find the Gators on Facebook.