Sunday March 2, 2014No. 5 Gators Women's Tennis Dominates Missouri, 7-0
The No. 5 Florida women’s tennis team blanked SEC-foe Missouri, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon at the Ring Tennis Complex.
Florida worked fast in doubles play, as Gators’ pair of senior Olivia Janowicz and freshman Stefani Stojic clinched the first point of the match at court three with a dominant 8-1 win over Missouri’s Cassidy Spearman and Tracy Dong.
Gators sophomore Brianna Morgan took the first singles point at court two to lift the Gators to 2-0 and allowed Tigers’ Kelli Hine to take just one game the entire match. Stojic followed by extending her perfect dual match record to 6-0 with a dominant 6-1, 6-0 defeat of UM’s Tracy Dong at No. 6 singles to seal the Gator victory. UF finished out singles play over Missouri a perfect 6-0.
Florida leads the all-time series against Missouri, 2-0, and has now won 127-consecutive home matches, while improving to 187-1 all-time at home against SEC opponents.
Quoting UF Head Coach Roland Thornqvist:
On the win:
“I think we were really good. Today could have been really tricky with our big win on Friday with College MatchDay here. It easily could have been a little bit of a letdown in our concentration. All credit goes to our seniors. We did not give them a big, riled-up speech to get them focused – they handled it. They took the team and ran with it. I have to really commend our three seniors. They took ownership of our team at the beginning of this week and I think you can see what happens when they do that. We were outstanding all weekend long.”
On freshman Stefani Stojic:
“Stef is a world-class athlete – there’s no question about that. I think she’s starting to develop some confidence now in play and when she really clicks, she’s going to be really dangerous.”
· Florida sports an impressive 187-1 all-time home record against SEC opponents (includes all meetings).
Florida vs. SEC Teams
· Florida is an incredible 416-26 all-time against the SEC, including a 351-17 record in regular-season matches (2-0 in 2013-14).
127 and Counting
· Florida is 6-0 at home this season and has extended its overall program-record home winning streak to 127, which includes 21 wins in postseason play (SEC and NCAA Tournament).
· The streak is the longest active home win streak of any NCAA Division I women’s team, in any sport
· The streak is the second-longest active home win streak on any NCAA Division I team, trailing only the run by the Ohio State men’s tennis team
· Florida boasts a remarkable 462-25 all-time home record when playing in Gainesville, including a 6-0 record this season.
· Alexandra Cercone posted career singles win No. 106, while improving to 67-12 all-time in dual match singles play and 29-4 in SEC regular season action
· Sofie Oyen inched closer to the 100-career win plateau with victory No. 96; also improved to 27-2 in SEC singles dual matches
· Brianna Morgan improved to 46-10 in her singles career, including 15-2 in dual matches
· Freshman Stefani Stojic extended her perfect career dual match record to 6-0 with the victory at No. 6 today.
No. 5 Florida vs. Missouri
Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex * Gainesville, Fla.
Sunday, March 2, 2014
Final Score: Florida 7, Missouri 0
Singles (order of finish: 2, 3, 6*, 1, 5, 4)
1. #7 Olivia Janowicz (UF) def. Cierra Gaytan Leach (UM) 6-2, 6-2 [1:09]
2. #24 Brianna Morgan (UF) def. Kelli Hine (UM) 6-1, 6-0 [1:01]
3. #27 Alexandra Cercone (UF) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (UM) 6-1, 6-1 [1:03]
4. #34 Sofie Oyen (UF) def. Madison Rhyner (UM) 6-2, 6-1 [1:22]
5. #T-76 Belinda Woolcock (UF) def. Cassidy Spearman (UM) 6-2, 6-0 [1:19]
6. Stefani Stojic (UF) def. Tracy Dong (UM) 6-1, 6-0 [1:04]*
Doubles (3, 2*)
1. #20 Sofie Oyen/ Belinda Woolcock (UF) vs. Cierra Gaytan Leach/Rachel Stuhlmann (UM) 5-4, unfinished
2. Alexandra Cercone/ Brianna Morgan (UF) def. Kelli Hine/Madison Rhyner (UM) 8-1 [:48]*
3. Olivia Janowicz/Stefani Stojic (UF) def. Cassidy Spearman/Tracy Dong (UM) 8-2 [:46]
*indicates clinching dual match win
Records: Florida 10-2, 2-0 SEC … Missouri 3-8, 0-2 SEC
Next Gator Match:
Who: South Carolina
When: Sat., March 8 beginning at 1 p.m. ET
Where: Carolina Tennis Center, Columbia, S.C.
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s tennis:
Official Website: http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/