Wednesday February 26, 2014No. 22 Florida Men's Tennis Wins Thriller Over Florida State, 4-2
A true team effort lifted the No. 22 Florida men’s tennis team over in-state rival Florida State, 4-2, at the Perry Indoor Tennis Facility on Wednesday.
In doubles play, the ninth-ranked Gators pair of Elliott Orkin and Gordon Watson worked fast at No. 2 doubles with a dominant 8-5 win over Noles’ Marco Nunez and Grayson Goldin. Clinching the doubles point for Florida was No. 26 senior duo Mike Alford and Stephane Piro.
The Seminoles evened the score in singles play, but Gator senior Florent Diep fought back from a first-set loss to FSU’s Nunez at No. 4 singles to lift Florida, 3-2. Freshman Maxx Lipman and Alford were still on the court at Nos. 5 and 6 singles, fighting for the Gator win. It was Lipman who clinched the Florida victory with a two-plus-hour defeat of FSU’s Michael Rinaldi, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2.
Florida looks toward the start of SEC play at Texas A&M on Friday at 6 p.m.
Shelton Says: “We were playing indoors, so we knew it was going to be tough. FSU is a really good team and they came in with a lot of fight and I was proud of how our guys competed from start to finish. It was great to get the doubles point – it gave us a little cushion going into singles, and we did a good job. Once we were in the position to win, we were able to close the door. I’m really proud of both Mike Alford and Maxx Lipman for how they played down the stretch. They played well. It was a good match and a match that will help us as we head into our SEC season.”
(1) No. 26 Stephane Piro/Michael Alford (UF) def. No. 23 Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis (FSU) 8-6*
(2) No. 9 Elliott Orkin/Gordon Watson (UF) def. Marco Nunez/Grayson Goldin (FSU) 8-5
(3) Diego Hidalgo/Spencer Newman (UF) vs. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez/Michael Rinaldi (FSU) 6-4, unfinished
Florida wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1*
(1) Dominic Cotrone (FSU) def. No. 65 Spencer Newman (UF) 7-5, 6-2
(2) Gordon Watson (UF) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
(3) Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) def. Diego Hidalgo (UF) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
(4) Florent Diep (UF) def. Marco Nunez (FSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
(5) Maxx Lipman (UF) def. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2*
(6) Mike Alford (UF) vs. Grayson Goldin (FSU) 6-4, 5-2 unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 5*
Records: Florida 5-4, Florida State 11-3
Up Next: SEC play beings for Florida on Friday in College Station, where the Gators will face the Aggies at 6 p.m.
Follow the Gators: