Tuesday February 18, 2014Women's Tennis Sweeps Florida State
Kourtney Keegan provided the clinching dual match singles win.
The No. 5-ranked Florida women’s tennis team earned a solid 7-0 sweep against Florida State at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex on a beautiful Tuesday evening.
The Gators earned the doubles point in impressive fashion, before capturing victories on the first five singles matches in 74 minutes.
Olivia Janowicz, Brianna Morgan and Kourtney Keegan were the first off the singles courts and secured the team dual match win.
Sofie Oyen and Stefani Stojic followed with a straight sets wins on courts four and six, respectively.
That set the stage for court two, where Alexandra Cercone was left to provide the shutout. Cercone led 5-1 in the first set, before Kerrie Cartwright battled back to 5-4, as the Gator senior served out for the set. Cartwright, however, carried her momentum into the second set where she forced a deciding third despite Cercone fighting off five set points at 5-3.
In the 10-point tiebreak, Cercone earned a mini-break for a 5-3 lead and after one point held on her two serves for the 7-4 advantage en route to the 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5) win.
Records: Florida 7-1 … Florida State 5-3
Video: Postmatch Interviews
· Senior Olivia Janowicz: http://youtu.be/irvAqz-8ENo
· UF head coach Roland Thornqvist: http://youtu.be/kxnrYZztsVc
Double the Pleasure
· UF won the doubles point for the sixth time (6-0 record)
· Olivia Janowicz and Stefani Stojic paired for the first time in dual match action; won in 35 minutes on court three; improved to 5-3 overall as tandem
· Kourtney Keegan and Brianna Morgan clinched doubles point on court 2; first pairing in dual matches; improved to 5-0 as a team
· Individually, Keegan is a team-best 23-5 on the doubles court this year.
· Sofie Oyen and Belinda Woolcock led 6-3 when play was abandoned.
Janowicz First Off
· Senior Olivia Janowicz was the first to post a singles result, earning a 6-1, 6-1 win on court one vs. Daneika Borthwick
· Match lasted 55 minutes
· Janowicz improved to a team-leading 25-5 overall, including 5-1 in dual matches this year all at the No. 1 position.
· 63-9 career record in singles dual matches
Morgan Marching Along
· Sophomore Brianna Morgan won her singles match 6-3, 6-0 and gave UF a 3-0 lead in the team scoring.
· The win was Morgan’s 17th consecutive singles win in dual match play, dating back to last season.
· Morgan improved to 16-4 this year, 45-9 in her singles career.
· Freshman Kourtney Keegan provided the clinching dual match win with a 6-2, 6-0 decision on court five.
· Keegan improved to 21-8 this year, including 6-2 in dual matches
· Senior Sofie Oyen earned a 6-4, 6-0 win on court four and gave UF a 5-0 lead in the team scoring.
· Oyen improved to 94-34 in her collegiate singles career, 14-9 this season.
Stojic at Six
· Freshman Stefani Stojic captured a 6-3, 6-2 win on court six and gave the Gators a 6-0 lead.
· The rookie is now 11-5 in singles action, 4-0 in dual matches.
Cercone Secures the Sweep
· Senior Alexandra Cercone completed the Gator sweep with a gutty 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5) win against Kerrie Cartwright.
· Match lasted 2:05
· Cercone fought off five set points in the second set, down 5-3.
· Cercone improves to 103-34 in her career and 11-5 this year; 5-1 in dual matches
The Series: Florida vs. Florida State
· Florida improved to 54-1 all-time record against Florida State, including a 15-0 mark in matches played in Gainesville.
· The Seminoles’ lone win in the series was on Feb. 28, 2009, when FSU captured the 5-2 decision and halted its winless streak versus the Gators.
Florida vs. In-State Opponents
· Florida owns an impressive 198-33 record against in-state rivals and has reeled off 20 straight victories against Sunshine State opponents.
· The Gators’ last loss to an instate foe was a 5-2 decision on Feb. 28, 2009 against Florida State in Tallahassee.
125 and Counting
· Florida improved to 4-0 at home this season and extended its overall program-record home winning streak to 125, which includes 21 wins in postseason play (SEC and NCAA Tournament).
· The streak is the longest active home win streak of any NCAA Division I women’s team, in any sport
· The streak is the second-longest active home win streak on any NCAA Division I team, trailing only the run by the Ohio State men’s tennis team
· Not including SEC Tournament or NCAA Championships events, Florida has won 128 consecutive home matches.
Quoting UF head coach Roland Thornqvist:
· On today’s win:
· “I thought we played well from first ball. We moved well. We look physically better each week and that’s pretty impressive considering the week we had last week. I feel really good about our strokes, our execution. I look forward to this weekend.”
· On today’s crowd:
· “It was fantastic from start to finish. It really helps us. Our players do good job of helping the crowd along with energy. When we have a tough point and we win it our players turn to the crowd and help them cheer. I think all six courts really feed off of that. It think that’s one reason why we’ve been so successful at home. Our players really cherish playing in front of these people. It’s a knowledgeable crowd, not like some places we go where they tear into you with personal matters. Our fans are tennis enthusiasts and they know when to cheer and when to be classy. I really commend them. It was a great atmosphere tonight.”
Next Gator Match
· The Gators travel to the West coast for a two-match swing, playing Saint Mary’s on Saturday and No. 3 Stanford on Sunday. Both matches will be played at Stanford.
No. 30 Florida State at No. 5 Florida
Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex * Gainesville, Fla.
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
FINAL SCORE: Florida def. Florida State, 7-0
Doubles (order of finish: 3, 2*)
1. Sofie Oyen/Belinda Woolcock (14), UF vs. Kerrie Cartwright/Daneika Borthwick, FSU, 6-3 DNF
2. Kourtney Keegan/Brianna Morgan, UF d. Daniela Schippers/Mia Vriens, FSU, 8-1* [0:50]
3. Olivia Janowicz/Stefani Stojic, UF d. Laurence Porry/Kristina Schleich, FSU, 8-1 [0:35]
Singles (order of finish: 1, 3, 5*, 4, 6, 2)
1. Olivia Janowicz (11), UF d. Daneika Borthwick, FSU, 6-1, 6-1 [:55]
2. Alexandra Cercone (29), UF d. Kerrie Cartwright, FSU, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5) [2:05]
3. Brianna Morgan (14), UF d. Daniela Schippers, FSU, 6-3, 6-0 [1:17]
4. Sofie Oyen (31), UF d. Laurence Porry, FSU 6-4, 6-0 [1:10]
5. Kourtney Keegan (38), UF d. Majlena Pederson, FSU, 6-2, 6-0 [1:09]
6. Stefani Stojic, UF d. Duda Santos, FSU 6-3, 6-2 [1:14]
Records: Florida 7-1 … Florida State 5-3
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s tennis:
Official Website: http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/
Twitter: @GatorZoneTennis and @GatorZoneNews