Wednesday February 12, 2014Gators Win Home Opener Over Jacksonville, 21-5
The Gators got their first win of the season in their home opener Wednesday against Jacksonville.
The No. 8 Florida lacrosse team opened the home slate of its 2014 season with a solid 21-5 victory over in-state foe Jacksonville. Fifteen Gators set season or career bests in the program’s 20th consecutive win at Donald R. Dizney Stadium on Wednesday night.
Jacksonville won the opening draw and scored the first goal, but Florida answered swiftly and scored the next seven goals and never looked back. In total, seven Gators scored in the game, with junior midfielder Shannon Gilroy leading the pack with a career-high-tying seven. Devon Schneider (4), Sam Darcangelo (3), Mollie Stevens (3) and Sammi Burgess (2) all tallied new career high goals as well.
NUMBERS OF NOTE
· All-American Shannon Gilroy found the back of the net seven times, to tie her career high in goals and points. She was a perfect 3-for-3 on free-position shots and added season-highs of six draw controls and two ground balls. Gilroy’s three free-position goals tied her own program single-game record.
· Sophomore Devon Schneider celebrated her birthday in fashion, notching a career-best four goals, four points and five shots. She also recorded season-highs of two draw controls and a caused turnover.
· Sophomore Sam Darcangelo scored a career-high three goals and three points off of a career-high-tying three shots.
· Newcomer Mollie Stevens set personal bests by scoring three goals for three points.
· Reigning ALC Rookie of the Week Sammi Burgess recorded season-highs of two goals, four ground balls and four draw controls.
· Sophomore Lauren Lea dished out a career-high two assists to notch a season-high two points. She also picked up a career-high four ground balls.
· Sophomore Darcy Messina scored her second goal of the season and added an assist for a season-best two points.
· Junior Nora Barry scored her first goal of the season, tied her career-high of two caused turnovers and notched season-highs of three ground balls and two draw controls.
· Senior Krista Grabher notched season-highs of two ground balls, a draw control and a caused turnover.
· Rookie Caroline Fitzgerald recorded a season-high three ground balls.
· The 16-point margin of victory is the largest in the series with Jacksonville.
Florida improves to 1-1 on the season, while Jacksonville falls to 0-2.
Florida now owns a 5-0 record in the series with Jacksonville, including a 3-0 record at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.
“I thought overall it was a great game for us. Rebounding back, I thought we accomplished what we wanted to accomplish. We were able to pick up more of the 50/50 balls, which can really impact a game. I thought Shannon (Gilroy) did a phenomenal job with draw controls; she did her job on the offensive end and also on the defensive end. She had a well-rounded game and performed well for us tonight. Mollie (Stevens) had a great game offensively and also running the midfield; I’m very pleased with her efforts. Overall, I think the freshmen are transitioning well and quickly to this level of play; we are seeing a lot of good things from all of them. Defensively, I thought Krista (Grabher) had a great game. I’m also very proud of what I saw from Cara (Canington) and Mary-Sean (Wilcox) in the goal cage tonight.”
The Gators continue their home slate on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 1 p.m. when they host High Point at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.
For all of the latest information on Florida lacrosse, please log on to www.GatorZone.com/lacrosse or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow Florida lacrosse on Twitter at @GatorZoneLAX or www.twitter.com/GatorZoneLAX. You can also find the Gators on Facebook.