Saturday February 1, 2014Men's Tennis Falls to No. 2 UCLA 4-1 in Pac-12/SEC Showdown
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles, CA
LOS ANGELES—The Florida men’s tennis team suffered its first defeat of the season, falling 4-1 to No. 2 UCLA in the first match of the Pac-12/SEC Showdown, hosted by Southern California in Los Angeles. The Gators will face the host Trojans on Sunday afternoon.
Florida (3-1) fell behind UCLA (4-0) in doubles early, as the Bruins’ duo of Joseph DiGiulio and Clay Thompson beat UF’s Maxx Lipman and Gordon Watson on court two. The Gators battle back though, taking the match at No. 3 doubles with Diego Hidalgo and Spencer Newman beating Dennis Mkrtchian and Karue Sell.
Court one became the deciding factor, and it was a tight match all the way. UCLA’s Marcos Giron held serve at 4-5 to force a tiebreaker. Florida’s Stephane Piro and Mike Alford pulled out the tiebreaker, 9-7, and clinched the doubles point for the Gators.
In singles, things got off to a rough start. At the No. 1 spot, Newman retired due to injury midway through the first set, giving UCLA a point to even the match.
The Bruins’ Gage Brymer then gave them a lead with a straight set win on court four over UF’s Elliott Orkin. UCLA finished off the victory with wins on courts three and six.
Sunday’s matches are scheduled to air on the Pac-12 Network. The Georgia-UCLA match will begin at 1 p.m. ET and the Florida-USC match is scheduled to start 15 minutes after the conclusion of the first match. Fans can also check out the online stream.
AFTER THE MATCH
Head Coach Bryan Shelton
“We came out and were resilient in the doubles. Mike and Steph did a nice job staying poised when they missed some early opportunities. In the end they got it done.
“We lost some momentum when Spencer rolled his ankle and UCLA was very tough in the singles. I know Maxx was disappointed as he had double match point when the match was decided. We'll regroup and be ready to battle again tomorrow against USC.”
Marks Stadium • Los Angeles, Calif.
Match #1 - Feb. 1, 2014
#2 UCLA 4, #11 Florida 1
(1) Alford/Piro (FLA) def. #10 Giron/McDonald (UCLA) - 6-5 (10-8)
(2) DiGiulio/Thompson (UCLA) def. Lipman/Watson (FLA) - 6-3
(3) Hidalgo/Newman (FLA) def. Mkrtchian/Sell (UCLA) - 6-3
Florida wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
(1) #1 Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Spencer Newman (FLA) - 4-3 ret. (inj)
(2) #11 Marcos Giron (UCLA) vs. Diego Hidalgo (FLA) - 5-6, 3-2 susp.
(3) #62 Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) def. #111 Gordon Watson (FLA) - 6-4, 6-1
(4) #120 Gage Brymer (UCLA) def. #53 Elliott Orkin (FLA) - 6-1, 6-1
(5) #63 Karue Sell (UCLA) vs. #109 Maxx Lipman (FLA) - 4-6, 4-5 susp.
(6) Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Florent Diep (FLA) - 6-3, 6-5 (2)
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 6*
For all of the latest information on Florida men’s tennis:
Official Website: www.GatorZone.com/tennis/men