Wednesday January 29, 2014Gators Host Red-Hot Alabama Thursday
Freshman Ronni Williams is averaging 11 points over the last two games.
Freshman Ronni Williams is averaging 11 points over the last two games.
Florida aims to close out the month of January on a positive note and carry the momentum of Sunday’s big win against Auburn into Thursday’s home contest versus Alabama - perhaps the hottest team in the SEC.
· Thursday’s game is the eighth and final game of the first-half of the 16-game SEC schedule.
· The second-half of UF’s SEC season features four games against ranked teams Texas A&M, at South Carolina, at Vanderbilt and Kentucky), in addition to road games at Ole Miss and Arkansas, with a home date against Missouri. Whew!
Alabama is Rolling
· The Tide have won their last two games against two of the top teams in the SEC.
· On Thursday, Alabama avenged an earlier 85-63 home loss to Kentucky with a thrilling 57-55 win against the Wildcats in Lexington - and that came without the services of leading scorer Shafontaye Myers, who missed the game for ‘disciplinary reasons.’
· The team followed that with a 69-66 victory against Georgia on Sunday - and that came with its second-leading scorer Daisha Simmons contributing just two points in 16 minutes due to foul trouble.
The Three-Game Skid Ended!
· After winning nine consecutive games, the Gators lost three straight games for the first time this season, falling at No. 12/13 LSU (82-68) on Jan. 12, to Georgia (68-62) on Jan. 19 and at No. 11/12 Tennessee (89-69) on Jan. 23.
· Florida halted the slide with an impressive 87-69 win against Auburn on Sunday.
· Florida is 10-2 at home this season, including 3-1 in SEC play.
· Alabama is 1-6 on true road courts this year, but upset Kentucky in its most recent road trip.
· The Gators rebounded from their most lopsided loss of the season (89-69 decision at No. 11/12 Tennessee) with their most lopsided SEC win of the year, posting an 87-69 win against Auburn on Sunday.
· Six different Gators scored in double-figures, paced by Jaterra Bonds’ game-high 18 points. Bonds also had six rebounds, five assists and three steals.
Just One Time
· Thursday’s game will be the lone regular-season meeting this year between the Gators and Crimson Tide.
· The SEC coaches and members of the media both selected Florida to finish 10th in the league standings in their respective preseason polls.
· Alabama was picked to finish 14th by the league by the coaches and the media.
Bonds You Can Bank On
· Jaterra Bonds leads all SEC players in made free throws (122, 6.1 pg) and attempts (148, 7.4 pg) ... and she leads by a LOT!
· The next closest in either category is Vanderbilt’s Christina Foggie, who has made 88 (4.4 pg) and attempted 120 (6.0 pg).
· Bonds hits 82.4 percent from the charity stripe, tied for the sixth-best mark among all SEC players.
· Only three times this year has Florida’s opponent attempted more free throws - the Gators average 25.9 attempts per game.
· Florida has forced at least 17 turnovers in all except 2 games year this (Gators 0-2 when forcing fewer than 17).
· UF is 11-1 when leading at halftime (loss was at home vs. Georgia)
· Despite playing an average of just eight players per game, UF’s bench has outscored its opponent’s bench 13 times (10-3 record in those games).
· Four eligible Gators average a double-figure scoring effort: Jaterra Bonds (16.4 ppg), Cassie Peoples (11.0 ppg), January Miller (10.9 ppg) and Kayla Lewis (10.2 ppg).
· Kayla Lewis has been the top Gator on the boards, pulling down 8.5 per game, followed by Ronni Williams’ 6.2 per game mark.
· Bonds is dishing 4.2 assists per game, with Peoples handing out 3.8.
· Five different eligible Gators have recorded at least 25 steals en route to the team’s 10.7 per game average, with Bonds collecting 35, Peoples 34, Miller 31, Lewis 28 and Carlie Needles 27.
Bonds, Jaterra Bonds
Senior Jaterra Bonds is doing it all in her final collegiate season. She leads the Gators in:
· Scoring (16.4 ppg),
· Assists (4.2 apg),
· Made free throws (122) and
· Free throw attempts (148),
· While hitting 44.1 percent of her shots from the floor and collecting 1.8 steals.
Bonds Takes Charity
· Jaterra Bonds’ fifth made free throw during the Jan. 26 game against Auburn was the 365th of her career, moving her into sole possession of No. 2 in UF history - passing Gator All-American and two-time U.S. Olympic gold-medalist DeLisha Milton-Jones.
· Only Sha Brooks (2005-09), who drained 430 from the charity stripe, has made more free throws wearing a Gator uniform.
The Series vs. Alabama
· Thursday’s game will be the 54th in the series between Florida and Alabama and is the third-longest in UF history (70 games vs. Florida State).
· Alabama leads the overall series 29-24.
· Both teams hold a slight advantage when playing on their home court: UF is 13-7 in Gainesville but just 8-12 in Tuscaloosa.
· Alabama leads Florida on neutral courts, 10-3
· Florida has won the last three games in the series, including both regular-season games last year.
Quick Scout - Alabama
· Shafontaye Myers, Daisha Simmons and Ashley Williams lead the Tide offensively, with 15.1, 13.4 and 11.4 points per game, respectively.
· In the last two games, Lily Svete is averaging 10.0 points (compared to 5.7 ppg overall) and hitting 5-12 three-pointers (41.7%).
· In the last two games, Kayla Lewis is averaging 13.3 points and 9.5 rebounds, while hitting 10-of-20 (50.0%) of her shots from the floor.
· In the last two games, Ronni Williams is averaging 11.0 points and hitting 10-16 (62.5%) from the floor.
Our Colorado Gator is Heating Up
· In the last 13 games, Carlie Needles has knocked down 20 of her 25 three-pointers this year, sinking 37.7 percent (20-53) of her tries during the run. In the first seven games, she went 5-30 (16.7%) from deep.
Peoples Relishes Starting Assignment
· Since Cassie Peoples was inserted into the starting lineup on Dec. 4 at Troy, the sophomore is averaging 13.4 points in those 12 games compared with 7.3 points in eight games off the bench.
· Points Per Game: 78.1
· Scoring Defense: 70.1
· Scoring Margin: +8.0
· Rebounding Margin: -3.6
· FG%: 44.2%
· 3FG%: 30.0%
· FT%: 71.6%
· Scoring: Jaterra Bonds, 16.4
· Rebounding: Kayla Lewis, 8.5
· Assists: Jaterra Bonds, 4.2
· Points Per Game: 65.8
· Scoring Defense: 69.6
· Scoring Margin: -3.7
· Rebounding Margin: -1.9
· FG%: 40.4%
· 3FG%: 30.9%
· FT%: 63.9%
· Scoring: Shafontaye Myers, 15.1
· Rebounding: Ashley Williams, 6.0
· Assists: Daisha Simmons, 4.6
Alabama (10-10, 3-4 SEC) at Florida (14-6, 4-3 SEC)
Stephen C. O’Connell Center (11,373) * Gainesville, Fla.
Thu., January 30 * 7 p.m. ET
Game Coverage & More!
· Radio: LIVE on ESPN850 WRUF-AM in Gainesville with Adam Schick & Brittany Davis
· Internet Audio: LIVE thru www.Gatorzone.com (FREE)
· Television: FS Florida (Cox Ch. 70/1070; DirecTV 654) in North Florida Territory with Larry Vettel and Mark Wise
· Internet Video: LIVE on GatorVision Online (subscription)
· Internet Scoring: LIVE thru GatorZone.com (FREE)
· Tickets: $5 for reserved seats; $4 adult general admission; $2 for youth age 17 and under; FREE for UF and Santa Fe students
· Parking: FREE in the O’Connell Center lot
Additional Hoopla for the Game
· Rowdy Reptile Check-In: Students can earn 4 points for scanning in at Gate 1.
· Campus Challenge: Final 4: Today’s Final Four matchup is between the winner of Muphree vs. Tolbert and Keys (1/9/14) and the winner of Broward vs. Rawlings and Reid-Yulee-Mallory (1/19/14). Students will be entered to win iPads and the residence hall(s) with the highest attendance will advance to the Championship.
· Dance Marathon Check-In: All 16 dance marathon organizations are invited to attend the game and receive 20 spirit points per person toward their organization. The organization with the highest attendance receives $250. The organization with the highest percentage will also receive $250. Check-in at Gate 2.
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s basketball:
Official Website: www.gatorzone.com/basketball/women
Twitter: @GatorZoneWBK and @CoachButlerUF