Saturday January 18, 2014Women's Tennis Doubles Team Nets Upset at Freeman Memorial
Florida’s doubles team of Kourtney Keegan and Sofie Oyen upset the nation’s No. 1-ranked doubles team to highlight the second day of play at the 12th annual Freeman Memorial Tennis Championships held at the Fertitta Tennis Complex on the UNLV campus.
The Gator tandem topped top-ranked Robin Anderson and Jennifer Brady of UCLA, 7-5, to advance to the semifinals where they will play Southern California’s third-seeded and seventh-ranked Zoe Scandalis and Giuliana Olmos on Sunday at 10 a.m. PST.
main draw singles action, Olivia Janowicz fell 7-6, 6-3, to UCLA’s No.
24-ranked Brady in the quarterfinals, where Keegan dropped a 6-3, 6-2 decision
to Stanford’s No. 94-ranked Ellen Tsay.
Quotes from the Court:
UF head coach Roland Thornqvist on the Gator’s doubles performance:
“We played fantastic doubles matches to start the day. Sofie (Oyen) and Kourtney (Keegan) were aggressive both serving and returning. A few points decided the match and we were able to execute at the end.”
Thornqvist on the singles matches:
“Despite her close loss to (UCLA’s Jennifer) Brady, Olivia (Janowicz) has made huge improvements in both her game physically and mentally. Today, she played some of the best tennis of the year in her singles match. Sofie (Oyen) rebounded nicely from her loss on Friday and showed toughness in getting the win today.”
FREEMAN MEMORIAL TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas, NV
Saturday, January 18, 2014
QUARTERFINALS (Jan. 18)
(1) #1 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. (7) #34 Caroline Doyle (STAN) by default
#41 Taylor Davidson (STAN) def. (3) #5 Hayley Carter (UNC) by default
(5) #24 Jennifer Brady (UCLA) def. (4) #17 Olivia Janowicz (UF) 7-6, 6-3
#94 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. #39 Kourtney Keegan (UF) 6-3, 6-2
SEMIFINALS (Jan. 18)
(1) #1 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #41 Taylor Davidson (STAN) 7-5, 6-4
#94 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. (5) #24 Jennifer Brady (UCLA) 6-1, retired
ADDED MATCHES (Jan. 18)
#27 Sofie Oyen (UF) def. #29 Lucia Batta (UNLV) 6-2, 6-3
#45 Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. #36 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) 6-2, 6-0
Shumilina (UNLV) def. Morgan Thomas (UCLA) 6-4, 6-1
Zoe Scandalis (USC) def. #49 Hanna Mar (DUKE) 6-3, 6-4
Hardebeck (STAN) def. Alyssa Smith (DUKE) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) 6-4, retired
Zoe Katz (USC) def. Paola Artiga (UNLV) 6-0, 6-1
QUARTERFINALS (Jan. 18)
Sofie Oyen/Kourtney Keegan (UF) def. (1) #1 Robin Anderson/Jennifer Brady (UCLA) 7-5
(3) #7 Zoe Scandalis/Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. #14 Annie Mulholland/Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) 6-2
Kyle McPhillips/Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Chalena Scholl/Alyssa Smith (DUKE) by default
Beatrice Capra/Hanna Mar (DUKE) def. (2) #3 Brynn Boren/Zoe Katz (USC) 6-3
· Located here (PDF): http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/stats/notes/pre/20140117130000.pdf
· The event features one flight each of both singles and doubles along with consolation rounds and added matches.
· New ITA experimental scoring rules will be used, so doubles matches will be played to 6 instead of 8 and singles matches will use super-tiebreakers for all third sets.
· Individual competitors will be supplied by teams that include six of the top 10 from the season’s initial ITA rankings: No. 1 Stanford, No. 2 Florida, No. 3 North Carolina, No. 5 (tied) USC and UCLA and No. 10 Duke. Host UNLV, ranked 50th nationally, is expected to add five singles players and three doubles teams to the field.
· The impressive field boasts 12 of the top 50 individuals and two of the sport’s top-three ranked doubles teams scheduled to compete.
Action begins with doubles each day at 10 a.m. PST on Friday and Saturday with the finals scheduled for Sunday
Doubles Semifinals - 10 a.m. PT
Doubles Final - Follow
Singles Final - Follow
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s tennis:
Official Website: http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/