Friday December 27, 2013Gators host Georgetown Saturday in Non-Conference Finale
The Gators play their final non-conference game.
The Gators play their final non-conference game.
Florida returns to action following a few days away from the court for the holiday break and plays host to Georgetown on Saturday at 2 p.m.
It’s Dollar Day in the O’Connell Center and all general admission tickets will be available for just $1, as will select concession items.
Head coach Amanda Butler dismissed the Gators from basketball duties following their victory against FIU on Dec. 21 and were back in Gainesville on the court for practice on Dec. 26 at 6 p.m.
VIDEO: Assistant Coach David Lowey talks with Jaterra Bonds and January Miller about the holiday break and preparing for Georgetown: http://youtu.be/FvfwWIr3NVw
· The Gators are 5-0 this month and aiming for their first perfect record in December since the 2008-09 squad went 7-0.
The Series vs. Georgetown
· The Gators are 2-1 all-time against the Hoyas, with each program winning on the other’s home court and Florida taking the one neutral site decision.
· This is the first meeting between the two programs since Dec. 7, 1997, when Florida topped GU, 74-63, in Washington, D.C.
Quick Scout - Georgetown
· Three Hoyas average a double-figure scoring effort with Andrea White recording 14.5 points, Natalie Butler 14.5 points and 12.3 rebounds and Katie McCormick, 11.9 points per game.
· The Hoyas have played a very challenging non-conference schedule that is ranked among the top-35 toughest in the nation (rpiratings.com).
· Three of the team’s six wins have come away from home.
· Georgetown has racked up travel miles this season, playing in South Dakota, Alaska and Puerto Rico.
· The Hoyas have lost their last two games, both at the Puerto Rico Classic, where they fell to Michigan State, 67-54, on Dec. 20 and lost in the final seconds to Western Michigan, 57-55, the next day.
· Florida captured its own Gator Holiday Classic title with a 90-74 win against FIU on Dec. 21 in the championship game.
· Cassie Peoples was named the event’s MVP after scoring a career-high 24 points in the title game.
· Christin Mercer earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team after a 31-point outburst on 15-of-17 shooting against the Panthers.
· Georgetown lost a 57-55 heartbreaker to Western Kentucky at the Puerto Rico Classic on Dec. 21.
· Saturday’s game is the final non-conference game for both teams.
· Florida opens its Southeastern Conference slate on Thu., January 2 at home against Mississippi State.
· Georgetown plays host to Creighton on January 1 to launch its newly-reformed Big East Conference debut.
Bonds, Jaterra Bonds
· Senior Jaterra Bonds is doing it all with 15.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.8 steals, while hitting 66-81 (81.5%) free throws.
In the Gator’s three wins last week, sophomore Christin Mercer averaged 21.3 points while shooting an incredible 81.8 percent from the field (27-33).
· Entering the week, Mercer was averaging 8.0 points and shooting 43.3 percent from the floor. After the three games, she increased her season scoring average to 13.0 points and is now hitting 63.5 percent from the floor – an improvement of +5.0 points per game and an increase of more than 20 percent in her shooting accuracy!
· Reset her career-high scoring total in consecutive games, capped by a 31-point performance on 15-of-17 shooting against FIU in the Gator Holiday Classic championship game
· Became first Gator since Jan. 8, 2009 to score 30+ points in a game
· Became just 16th different Gator to score at least 30 points in a game
· Posted her first double-double of the (third of career) with 18 points and 10 rebounds vs. Tennessee State, when she also had a career-high 5 assists
· Named to the Gator Holiday Classic All-Tournament Team – first such honor of career
· Quick Shots
· Kayla Lewis has logged five consecutive double-figure REBOUNDING games and is averaging 12.0 boards during that stretch along with 11.6 points.
· Cassie Peoples has scored double-figures in the last five games - the longest active streak by a Gator - and is averaging 16.6 points during that span.
· In the last five games, Carlie Needles has knocked down 9 of her 14 three-pointers this year, sinking 40.9 percent of her tries during the run. In the first seven games, she went 5-30 (16.7%) from deep.
Quotes from the Court
“I was really, really pleased with our energy, our effort and our focus. You always wonder how everyone will be coming back after they holiday. Everyone made it back from a great holiday. It was fantastic to see everyone again. We got a lot of work done.” – UF head coach Amanda Butler on first practice after the holiday break
“Georgetown is very talented, very big team. They are a great offensive rebounding team and are really good in transition. It’s a team that has experienced some experienced some adversity and some challenges and they’ve handled that very well. They have played a very intense schedule so they’ve been challenged by some of the best teams in the country already. We’re going to have to play well to beat them.” - Butler on Georgetown
“The individual performances, like Christin Mercer’s 31 points in our last game, have been team-oriented plays. It was effort plays, with our point guards getting her the ball. She had some nice tip-ins. Kayla (Lewis) with the rebounding, she’s been playing with a lot of toughness and that’s brought so much to us. Our team has been relying on each other for their energy and building on the connectedness they’ve built. It’s been really good balance between all of them. There have been great individual performances and what’s been great is that there have been so many of them. It hasn’t been one individual. Cassie (Peoples) has been great. Christin Mercer has shown a different level of reliability. Kayla has been playing at a different level. It makes us a lot more threatening and a lot more hard to guard.” Butler on the team’s balance
Georgetown (6-5) at Florida (9-3)
Stephen C. O’Connell Center (11,373) * Gainesville, Fla.
Sat., December 28 * 2 p.m.
· Georgetown: http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/w-baskbl/
Game Coverage & More!
· Radio: LIVE on ESPN850 WRUF-AM in Gainesville with Adam Schick & Brittany Davis
· Internet Audio: LIVE thru www.Gatorzone.com (FREE)
· Television: SunSports (Cox Ch. 48/1048; DirecTV 653) statewide in Florida with TBA and Steffi Sorensen
· Internet Video: LIVE on Gatorvision.tv (subscription)
· Internet Scoring: LIVE thru GatorZone.com (FREE)
· Tickets: $5 for reserved seats; SPECIAL PROMOTION: $1 adult and youth general admission; FREE for UF and Santa Fe students
· Parking: FREE in the O’Connell Center lot
· Saturday’s game is the final non-conference outing for both teams
· Florida leads the series vs. Georgetown, 2-1, with the last meeting on Dec. 7, 1997 in Washington, D.C.
· In 8 of UF’s 12 games, every Gator who suited up to play, scored
· Gators are playing their fourth game in a five-game homestand
· In UF’s last 5 games, 5 Gators are averaging a double-figure scoring effort, while a sixth Gator is averaging double-figure rebounds
· UF is aiming for its first perfect December record since 2008-09
Additional Hoopla for Saturday’s Game
· $1 Day: All general admission tickets will be available for just $1. Select concession items will also be available for just $1!
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s basketball:
Official Website: www.gatorzone.com/basketball/women
Twitter: @GatorZoneWBK and @CoachButlerUF