Monday December 16, 2013Gators Return to Action After 13-Day Break, Host Saint Francis Tuesday Evening
The Gators play at home for the first time in 21 days.
The Gators play at home for the first time in 21 days.
Florida returns to the court for the first time in 13 days and plays host to Saint Francis on Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. (PLEASE NOTE THE UNUSUAL START TIME)
The Gators have not competed since their impressive 104-74 road win at Troy on Dec. 4 because of the final exam week break.
· The Gators are coming off a road trip when they played their last three games, as well as five of their last seven, away from the friendly confines of the O’Connell Center.
· Florida’s last home game was on Tue., Nov. 26, when the team earned a 72-68 win against St. John’s – 21 days ago
· Florida and Saint Francis are playing each other for the first time.
· Saint Francis is the fourth different team this season the Gators are playing for the first time (Illinois State, Kennesaw State and Troy).
· The Gators are 2-1 when playing a first-time opponent this season.
· SFU is under the direction of second-year coach Joe Haigh, who is in his sixth season working as a member of the Red Flash coaching staff, having spent his first four years as an assistant coach
· Senior forward Alli Williams leads the club in scoring (22.1 ppg) and rebounding (9.6 rpg).
· The Red Flash has lost their last two games, most recently an 86-66 home decision to Duquesne on Dec. 8.
· SFU will have had a 9-day layoff before playing the Gators.
· Gator sophomore Antoinette Bannister was high school teammates of SFU freshman Samiah Bethel and sophomore Aisha Brock.
· The trio suited-up for Potter’s House Academy in Jacksonville, where they were coached by Antoinette’s father, Tony Bannister.
· January Miller and Jaterra Bonds both scored 22 points, as five Gators posted a double-figure scoring effort in the team’s 104-74 victory against Troy at Trojan Arena
· Florida topped the 100-point plateau for the first time since Dec. 28, 2000 in a 100-54 win vs. Tennessee State
· In the last two games, January Miller is averaging 20.5 points and 5.0 rebounds, while hitting 48.1 percent of her shots from the floor and 85.7 percent (12-14) from the free throw line.
· Jaterra Bonds is contributing 18.0 points during that same two-game span, while Kayla Lewis is averaging 13.5 rebounds and Christin Mercer is collecting 10.0 boards.
Bonds, Jaterra Bonds
· Senior Jaterra Bonds is doing it all with 17.7 points, 5.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.6 steals, while hitting 58-of-70 (82.9%) free throws.
· Freshman Ronni Williams is averaging 10.7 points on 46.5 percent shooting, along with an impressive 7.4 rebounds per game. She logged the second double-double of her young career with 14 points and 12 rebounds against Florida State on Nov. 21.
· Four of UF’s last five games have been decided by 8 points or less.
The Highs & Lows of Free Throws
· Thanks in part to a solid 35-43 free throw shooting effort in its last game, Florida is back above the 70-percent accuracy mark for the season (183-261).
· Prior to the Gator’s sharp shooting from the line against Troy, the team had hit just 56-of-89 from the free throw line (62.9 percent) in the three games prior.
· Florida has converted 13-of-53 (24.5%) from the three-point in its last three games.
Non-SEC Home Game Success
· The Gators boast an impressive 51-6 home record against non-conference teams under head coach Amanda Butler.
Quotes from the Court
· “We’ve had to be more efficient time-wise. We needed to get good reps in and really address some weaknesses, add a few things and get a few things straightened out.” – UF head coach Amanda Butler on what the team has done during the 13-day break
· “Immediately following our last ball game I gave them a couple days off because that’s heading right into exams and I wanted to let them rest their bodies and also really prepare their minds. We really tried to balance out as much as we could, good intense practices with days off in between. Trying to strike that perfect balance is the biggest challenge and hopefully we’ve done a little bit of everything that we’ve needed to do.” – Butler on the challenges of a 13-day break
· “That’s the thing we’re most excited about – just playing a game. As much as coaches love practice, players get tired of practicing and it’s definitely time for us to compete again against someone else besides ourselves and the scout team.” – Butler on finally playing a game
· “Saint Francis is a very dynamic team. They are capable of scoring a lot of points. They like to pressure and play an up-tempo style. It’s very similar to the team we played in Troy, from a style standpoint. The components are very different, but they want to be aggressive and pressure. There is a lot of speed and attacking, those elements will certainly be there. That’s great for us, we like that sort of challenge.” – Butler on Saint Francis
· Points Per Game: 78.2
· Scoring Defense: 70.1
· Scoring Margin: +8.1
· Rebounding Margin: +5.9
· FG%: 42.0%
· 3FG%: 30.5%
· FT%: 70.1%
· Scoring: Jaterra Bonds, 17.7 ppg
· Rebounding: Kayla Lewis, 8.1 rpg
· Assists: Jaterra Bonds, 4.4 apg
· Points Per Game: 77.0
· Scoring Defense: 92.6
· Scoring Margin: -15.6
· Rebounding Margin: -3.6
· FG%: 35.3%
· 3FG%: 22.0%
· FT%: 75.0%
Red Flash Leaders
· Scoring: Allie Williams, 22.1 ppg
· Rebounding: Allie Williams, 9.6 rpg
· Assists: Aisha Brock, 3.1 apg
Saint Francis (2-5) vs. Florida (6-3)
Stephen C. O’Connell Center (11,373) * Gainesville, Fla.
Tue., Dec. 17, 2013 * 6 p.m.
Game Notes (PDF):
· Saint Francis – http://www.sfuathletics.com/documents/2013/12/12/Game_8_Notes.pdf?id=677
Game Coverage & More!
Radio: LIVE on ESPN850 WRUF-AM in Gainesville with Adam Schick & Brittany Davis
Internet Audio: LIVE thru www.Gatorzone.com (FREE)
Internet Video: LIVE on www.Gatorvision.tv (subscription)
Internet Scoring: LIVE thru www.GatorZone.com (FREE)
Tickets: $5 for reserved seats; $4 adult general admission; $2 for youth age 17 and under; FREE for UF and Santa Fe students
Parking: FREE in the O’Connell Center lot
· Tuesday’s game begins a five-game homestand for the Gators
· This is the first meeting between Florida and Saint Francis U.
· The Gators have not played since their 104-74 road win at Troy on Dec. 4 - 13 days ago because of the final exam break
· UF is 51-6 at home vs. non-conference teams under head coach Amanda Butler, including 3-1 this year
· Jaterra Bonds has started 79 consecutive games, the third-longest streak in program history
Additional Hoopla for Tuesday’s Game
· Do you still have yours?: Vouchers distributed during the November 26 game versus St. John’s can be redeemed at Gate 1 for FREE Admission to game!
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s basketball:
Official Website: www.gatorzone.com/basketball/women
Twitter: @GatorZoneWBK and @CoachButlerUF