Friday December 6, 20132013 Florida Volleyball Campaign Comes to a Close in NCAA Tournament Second Round
Florida volleyball fell shy to FSU, 3-2, Friday in the O'Dome in NCAA Second Round action.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The University of Florida volleyball team fell short to FSU in another NCAA Second Round five-set thriller (15-25, 25-20, 25-22, 22-25, 9-15) between the two Sunshine State foes in front of 2,204 fans at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center Friday evening, and this time the Seminoles earned the victory to advance to the NCAA Tournament Regional Semifinals in Champaign, Ill., Dec. 13 & 14.
Friday’s match was the second five-setter between UF and FSU in the last four years with both teams vying for a Sweet 16 berth. In 2010, the Gators advanced after a thriller that ended with a 17-15 fifth set, and despite four Gators in double-digit kills Friday evening – including senior middle blocker Chloe Mann (14), the NCAA’s career record holder for hitting efficiency – the Seminoles (26-7) pulled out the victory to move on in postseason play.
The Orange and Blue close out a stellar campaign at 28-4 overall, the 23rd straight 25-win season in UF history, and 23rd straight Gator season with a NCAA Tournament berth. In addition to Mann’s NCAA record-setting senior-year successes, the Gators boasted the 2013 SEC Libero of the Year in junior Taylor Unroe, three other All-SEC honorees in Mann, sophomore outside hitter Živa Recek and freshman right side Alex Holston with 2013 AVCA All-Region and All-America honors still to come.
Head coach Mary Wise eclipsed win No. 700 at the helm of the Florida program (714-84) and will enter the 2014 volleyball campaign just five wins shy of career win No. 800 (795-147).
· Florida moved to 46-7 at home in NCAA Tournament play
· Senior middle blocker Chloe Mann (14), sophomore middle blocker Simone Antwi (14), sophomore outside hitter Ziva Recek (10) and freshman right side Alex Holston (10) all notched double-digit kills for the Orange and Blue. Antwi’s 14 kills tied a career high, while Holston hit double-digits for the first time since Nov. 20
· Mann additionally led the Florida defensive charge with a career and season-tying eight blocks, last achieved for the Gator captain against Georgetown Sept. 13
· The Gators turned in 12 blocks against the Seminoles, the team’s third highest output of the season and most since 13 at Texas A&M Nov. 3
· Mann finishes her career atop the NCAA record books for career hitting efficiency with a .476 clip, including a NCAA-best .506 mark this season, while fellow Gator setter Taylor Brauneis collected 45 assists in her final match donning the Orange and Blue
· Three Florida players additionally turned in double-digit dig performances, including a season-high 13 from sophomore defensive specialist Maddy Monserez, while Recek had a season-tying 15. Junior libero Taylor Unroe contributed 15 as well
· For Recek, the double-double (10K, 15D) marked her 10th double-double of the season, the 19th of her two-year career thus far at Florida
· Florida head coach Mary Wise is now 58-23 (.716) all-time in the NCAA Tournament
· The Gators move to 59-24 (.711) all-time in the NCAA Tournament
· The Gators’ 2013 NCAA Tournament appearance marked its 23rd consecutive and 24th in Florida history
Florida Head Coach Mary Wise | Opening Statement
“I think we talked about what a great second-round matchup this was going to be and credit to Florida State. I thought they, obviously, from 25-15 played with so much effort and intensity and made the plays tonight to deserve the win. Hats off to them. Their coaches, their players, they had a sense of urgency. They made the plays, and we weren’t able to. I’m so sorry for Chloe (Mann) that her career would have to end like this, but in time we’ll look back. Chloe is going to walk away with an incredible record over her four years and own the NCAA hitting efficiency record. This one will hurt for awhile, but she certainly has left her mark on Gator volleyball, and there will be lots of opportunities to celebrate that.”
FOLLOW THE GATORS
For all of the latest information on Florida volleyball, please visit GatorZone. For up-to-the-minute updates, follow Florida Volleyball (@GatorZoneVB) and Coach Mary Wise (@GatorMary) on Twitter. You can also find the Gators on Facebook.