Friday October 25, 2013No. 5 Gators Blank Tigers for Seventh SEC Sweep of 2013
Five of the last six matches between the Gators and Tigers have been Florida sweeps.
Key play from Florida’s back row helped lead the No. 5 Gator volleyball team to a sweep over Auburn Friday evening (25-21, 25-16, 25-12) in front of an Orange and Blue-clad crowd of 2,525 at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center as the Orange and Blue added a seventh league sweep to its slate.
Junior libero Taylor Unroe led the back-row charge for the Gators with 17 digs, while senior middle blocker Chloe Mann helped lead UF’s offensive efforts with a .562 clip, including nine kills, to rack up 10.5 points on the evening. Sophomore middle blocker Simone Antwi collected a team-high 14.0 points behind a team-best 11 kills, while sophomore outside hitter Živa Recek was two kills shy of a double-double with eight slams and 14 digs for UF.
· Florida’s sweep over Auburn marked the seventh match this season the Gators had a perfect serve-reception percentage
· Chloe Mann hit .562 against the Tigers Friday, the 15th match of the season the Gator senior has hit above .500
· Senior setter Taylor Brauneis and sophomore setter Mackenzie Dagostino combined for 27 assists on the night, as Brauneis directed the Gator offense in the first two stanzas and Dagostino took over the reins in set three
· Sophomore Živa Recek had a season-high-tying 14 digs for UF, as the outside hitter last had 14 scoops against Kentucky two weeks ago. Recek chipped in eight kills and an assist against AU
· Juniors Holly Pole and Taylor Unroe combined for four service aces on the night, over half Florida’s total seven. Pole dished up two assists against Auburn, while Unroe collaborated for one on the night
· Set point in both the first and second sets came from Gator aces, Unroe in set one and Brauneis in set two
· Freshman Alex Holston notched a team-tying three blocks alongside Mann, while Brauneis and sophomore Simone Antwi had two stuffs each
Home Sweet Home: Florida has strung together an impressive 15-match home win streak dating back to Nov. 16, 2012, including all 11 home matches thus far in 2013.
Chloe’s a “Mann”ster: Senior middle blocker Chloe Mann is hitting .475 for her career and is the Florida career record holder in the category. The reigning SEC Player of the Year is the NCAA active leader in hitting percentage and sits just above the NCAA record holder in career hitting percentage, Penn State's Arielle Wilson (.468). Mann needs 133 more attempts to be eligible for the NCAA record (approx. 15 attacks/reg. season match).
Not On Our Watch: Florida has forced 16 of its 21 opponents to operate at under .200 hitting efficiency, including three offensive outputs at .000 and below. Florida’s defense improved steadily throughout Friday’s match as the Orange and Blue held Auburn to a .042 hitting efficiency, including an .029 clip in the second set and -.071 in the third.
NCAA Numbers: Senior Chloe Mann is second in the NCAA in hitting percentage (.513), while the Gators are also second in the nation with a .333 offensive clip. Freshman right-side hitter Alex Holston is fifth in the nation with a .437 hitting percentage and senior setter Taylor Brauneis is sixth in assists (11.70/set).
Mary’s Minute: “On a night when our offense wasn’t off the charts – and where we were more normal offensively – our defense was the story of the night. Our back row players were solid and we really put ourselves at a great advantage with the play behind the service line.”
Mary by the Numbers:
At Florida: 705-82
Records: No. 2 Florida: 19-2 (8-1 SEC), Auburn 12-8 (3-5 SEC)
All-Time Against Auburn: The Gators improved to a staggering 41-1 all-time against Auburn, including an unscathed 37-0 against head coach Mary Wise. Five of the last six matches between the Gators and Tigers have been Florida sweeps.
Up Next: The Orange and Blue will aim for a 12th straight home win of the season Sunday when the Gators play host to Tennessee. The Gators and Lady Vols will square off at 1:30 p.m. on Sun Sports, while Florida fans can additionally catch the match on ESPN850/GatorZone.com and on GatorVision.tv. Florida will be looking for its first win over Tennessee since 2010.
Follow the Gators: For all of the latest information on Florida volleyball, please visit GatorZone. For up-to-the-minute updates, follow Florida Volleyball (@GatorZoneVB) and Coach Mary Wise (@GatorMary) on Twitter. You can also find the Gators on Facebook.