Sunday October 13, 2013Gators Continue Fall Season at Crooked Stick Intercollegiate
Coming off a top-five finish at Shoal Creek, the Gators men’s golf squad will continue the fall season at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate in Carmel, Ind. tomorrow.
This will be the first time in program history that Florida has competed at the Crooked Stick course. The event has not been hosted since 2010, where only four of the 14 currently registered teams participated.
The Gators will play three rounds in two days, completing 36 holes on day one.
Course Information: Crooked Stick Golf Club is a par-72, 7,290 yard course.
Tournament Information: Monday Oct. 14 – Tuesday Oct. 15; 54 hole-event hosted by Indiana University.
Monday Field – 8:30 a.m.
Tuesday Field – 9 a.m.
· Junior J.D. Tomlinson (Gainesville, Fla.) had a career-best performance at the previous tournament, shooting a low round of 68, recording a new low tournament score of 210 and finishing T3.
· Freshman Victor Tarnstrom (Nykvarn, Sweden) will make his third-straight appearance in the lineup after also having a strong showing at Shoal Creek. Tarnstrom finished one-under (215) in a tie for 12th place.
· Junior Eric Banks (Truro, Canada) claimed a top-20 finish at Shoal Creek shooting rounds of 75-70-71 (216).
· Freshman Ryan Orr (Belleair, Fla.) will also make his third-straight appearance for the Orange and Blue as he continues to improve his game.
· Junior Thomas Stewart (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.) returns to the lineup for the Gators after having an exceptional round two at Shoal Creek. Stewart shot a 68 to end the day two-under in a tie for 10th place. Unfortunately, round three played havoc on Stewart as he finished the tournament nine-over (225).
Buddy’s Bite: “It’s the same five we played at Shoal Creek. That wasn’t by design; we had some extensive qualifying this week. We had a couple guys step up and play pretty well. I am pleased with our play right now. We played better at Shoal Creek and I think we are headed in the right direction. l am looking forward to seeing if I’m right.”
Eyeing the Competition: The Gators will face SEC-rivals Arkansas and Georgia at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate and will also see Indiana, Florida State and Toledo for the second time this fall season. Four of the 14 teams competing are currently ranked in the Golf World/Nike Golf Division I Coaches’ Poll.
The Field (Golf World/Nike Golf Division I Coaches’ Poll):
Florida State (15)
Follow the Gators: Play will begin tomorrow as the field tees off at 8:30 a.m. Live scoring will be available on GolfStat.com. A complete recap with full results will be posted on GatorZone.com following the day’s play.