Friday October 11, 2013Janowicz Wins 100th Singles Match to Highlight Perfect Day at Bedford Cup on Friday
Freshmen Belinda Woolcock (left) and Kourtney Keegan won their respective doubles and singles matches on Friday.
Four members of the University of Florida women’s tennis team combined for a 9-0 singles and doubles record on the second day of play at the 2013 Bedford Cup held at the Ring Tennis Complex on Friday.
Action began on the doubles courts, where senior Olivia Janowicz (Palm Bay, Fla.) and freshman Stefani Stojic (Melbourne, Australia) paired for the first time and earned a hard-fought 8-6 victory against USF’s Vera Bessonova and Olga Martinez and advanced to the round of 8.
Gator freshmen Kourtney Keegan (Roswell, Ga.) and Belinda Woolcock (Melbourne, Australia), the top-seeded tandem in the 32-team doubles event, powered their way past UCF’s Cortney Cesarini and Courtney Griffith, 8-2.
UF then turned its attention to singles action, where Janowicz, Keegan and Woolcock played their first matches of the tournament, having each received a first-round bye as one of the top-8 seeds.
The trio won all six matches played in straight sets and advanced to the round of 8 in the main draw of the 64-player tournament.
For Janowicz, her second victory of the day – a 6-3, 6-1 decision over Bethune-Cookman’s Maria Sablina – was the 100th singles win of her career, as she became the 25th Gator to reach the century milestone.
Stojic, who lost her first round main draw singles match on Thursday, returned to the court Friday and earned her first collegiate singles victory as she defeated Bethune-Cookman’s Chinatsu Kajiwara, 6-1, 6-3, in the consolation draw’s round of 16.
Two rounds of doubles matches begin Saturday’s action at 9 a.m., followed by one round of singles.
Admission is free and parking restrictions are lifted in the Law School lot, located next to the Ring Tennis Complex.
All the Singles Ladies:
· Senior Olivia Janowicz, the top-seed in the 64-player singles draw, was receiving, down 5-2 in the first set of her second-round match, before staging a magnificent rally, as she won five straight games to take the first set, 7-5, against Florida State’s Eduarda Dos Santos. Janowicz dropped her serve to begin the second set, but again dub deep and ripped off the final six games of the match to take the 7-5, 6-1 victory. Janowicz’s third-round match didn’t have anything near the dramatic comeback as her opening day contest did, as the Gator senior held serve throughout the first set against Bethune-Cookman’s Maria Sablina and earned the 6-3, 6-1 victory. She used a break in the sixth game and rode that for the first frame. Sablina held to begin the second set, but Janowicz won the final six games to advance to the round of 8, as well as record her 100th career singles victory.
· Freshman Belinda Woolcock, the No. 2-seed in the event, won her collegiate home singles debut, 6-1, 6-2. The rookie raced out to a 3-0 behind a pair of breaks and didn’t look back in the first frame against Stetson’s Diana Bukajeva. The two exchanged breaks early in the second set and the match was on-serve through five games before Woolcock claimed a break, held for the 5-2 lead and served out to win the second-round match. Woolcock’s third-round match against USF’s Olga Martinez was a bit tighter as she dropped her serve to begin the match and found herself trailing 2-0 to start. She regrouped and won four straight games en route to the 6-3 set. Woolcock then jumped out to a 3-0 lead behind a pair of breaks to begin the second set, before Martinez found her footing and won the next two games to stay close. Woolcock, however, dug deep and won the final three games to earn the 6-3, 6-3 decision and march into the round of 8.
· Freshman Kourtney Keegan began her collegiate home singles debut with a break and held for a 2-0 lead, as she held serve throughout her match against USF’s Vera Bessonova en route to the 6-2, 6-0 second-round victory. Keegan opened both sets with a break and looked impressive during her entire match. Keegan’s third-round match was a battle against North Florida’s Taylor Hollander, who held a 5-4 lead in the first set and put pressure on the Gator rookie. Keegan, who didn’t lose her serve in either match she played Friday, won the last three games to win the set, as she finished the match claiming the nine games for the 7-5, 6-0 victory.
· In her only singles match of the day, freshman Stefani Stojic collected the first singles win of her career, as she defeated Bethune-Cookman’s Chinatsu Kajiwara, 6-1, 6-3, in the consolation draw round of 16. Stojic got the early break in the second set before taking another of Kajiwara’s serve for a 5-2 lead. Stojic wasn’t able to serve out for the win, but closed out the victory with a break, capped by a powerful forehand winner.
· The top-seeded doubles team of freshmen Kourtney Keegan and Belinda Woolcock looked every bit as one of the event’s top tandems in its 8-2 win against UCF’s Courtney Griffith and Cortney Cesarini in the round of 16. The Gators used their serve to take a 3-0 lead, before the Knights held to get on the board. Keegan and Woolcock, however, won the next five games and took a commanding 7-1 lead, en route to breaking at the end for the 8-2 victory in their first match as a pair.
· Senior Olivia Janowicz and freshman Stefani Stojic, also played together for the first time. They might have needed a bit more time in their match against USF’s Vera Bessonova and Martinez, but produced the same final success, as the Gator duo earned the 8-6 win by earning the big break at the end.
VIDEO: Postmatch interviews with Kourtney Keegan, Stefani Stojic and Belinda Woolcock
· GatorVision Online: http://www.gatorvision.tv/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=3080165&db_oem_id=6500
· YouTube: http://youtu.be/24cqCgMkS-U
Photo Gallery: http://www.gatorzone.com/gallery/?sport=tennw
At a Glance: Gator Results Only
2013 Women’s Bedford Cup
Ring Tennis Complex * Gainesville, Fla.
Fri., October 11, 2013
Singles Second Round (Rnd of 32)
Olivia Janowicz (UF) d. Eduarda Dos Santos (FSU), 7-5, 6-1
Kourtney Keegan (UF) d. Vera Bessonova (USF), 6-2, 6-0
Belinda Woolcock (UF) d. Diana Bukajeva (Stetson), 6-1, 6-2
Singles Third Round (Rnd of 16)
Olivia Janowicz (UF) d. Maria Sablina (BCU), 6-3, 6-1
Kourtney Keegan (UF) d. Taylor Hollander (UNF), 7-5, 6-0
Belinda Woolcock (UF) d. Olga Martinez (USF), 6-3, 6-3
Consolation Singles Second Round (Rnd of 16)
Stefani Stojic (UF) d. Chinatsu Kajiwara (BCU), 6-1, 6-3
Doubles Second Round (Rnd of 16)
Keegan/Woolcock (UF) d. Griffith/Cesarini (UCF), 8-2
Janowicz/Stojic (UF) d. Bessonova/Martinez (USF), 8-6
Compete Agate from Friday: http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=26447
Updated Draws following Friday: http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/stats/notes/post/20131011090000.pdf
Quotes from the Day:
· “I thought we played well. We found our way a little bit in doubles in one spot this morning, but we played well down the stretch in that one and it gave us confidence. Stefani in particular played much better in singles today than she did yesterday. She held onto the ball much better today. The other three played really, really well. We never were threatened in any of the matches except in one set where Kourtney was down 5-4, but rallied. We’re making good decisions and we’re moving well. So far, I’m very pleased.” – Head coach Roland Thornqvist on his overall thoughts of Friday’s play
· “I was a little nervous at first, I didn’t know what to expect but I just wanted to try and play my best in a Gator uniform and it all went well.” - freshman Kourtney Keegan on playing on the home courts for the first time in her career
· “We had never played before and I didn’t know what to expect so we just went out there and tried our hardest. We played solid doubles and it worked out.” - freshman Kourtney Keegan on playing doubles with Belinda Woolcock for the first time
· “The first set, I wasn’t playing that well. I was just a little off on all my shots. I just kept playing and got the momentum and it ended up going my way.” - freshman Kourtney Keegan on her 7-5, 6-0 win against North Florida’s Taylor Hollander
· “It was good, playing with Olivia is awesome. We had a good close match. We were able to close out the crucial, main points and that was the difference today.” - freshman Stefani Stojic on her tight doubles win with Olivia Janowicz
· “It’s definitely a good feeling when you get the ‘w’ so I was really happy with myself today. The main difference from yesterday was that I was more consistent, played more balls. I stepped it up and played a little better today than I did yesterday.” - freshman Stefani Stojic on her first collegiate singles victory
· “Kourtney and I get along really well so for me it was quite easy to play with her. We started off really well and obviously, we won a pretty comfortable match. I was happy with the result and playing with her presented no problems for me.” - freshman Belinda Woolcock on playing doubles for the first time with Kourtney Keegan
· “I had been playing really well and didn’t want to stress too much about it. It took me a few games to get my rhythm, but after the second game I was able to hold my serve and play a few extra balls. I put more pressure on her and she broke down a bit. I was able to close it out which I was happy about.” - freshman Belinda Woolcock on her win against USF’s Olga Martinez
The Skinny on the Bedford Cup
· Overview: 64-player singles draw and a 32-team doubles draw; consolation action for first-round singles losers only
· Schools Competing: Bethune-Cookman, Florida, Florida A&M, Florida Gulf Coast, Florida State, North Florida, Stetson, UCF, USF
· Gators Competing: Olivia Janowicz, Kourtney Keegan, Stefanie Stojic, Belinda Woolcock
· Daily Schedule (REVISED WEDNESDAY EVENING):
o Thursday – 9 a.m.: Doubles (1R), followed by Singles (1R) and Singles (Consolation 1R)
o Friday – 9 a.m.: Doubles (2R), followed by Singles (2R, 3R)
o Saturday – 9 a.m.: Doubles (QF, SF) followed by Singles (QF)
o Sunday – 9 a.m.: Doubles (Final) followed by Singles (SF, Final)
· Parking: restrictions in the Law School parking lot, located directly next to the Tennis Complex, is waved and fans may park there free of charge
o Updated a few times each day to www.GatorZone.com
o Updated draws can be viewed each day as a PDF file on the Women’s Tennis Home Page > Schedule > Notes (Pre)
o Twitter updates throughout @GatorZoneTennis and using #BedfordCup
· Olivia Janowicz won her 100th career singles match on Friday and became the 25th Gator to reach the century milestone
· Freshman Stefanie Stojic made her collegiate debut during the tournament
· Both Gator doubles teams were playing together for the first time
For all of the latest information on Florida women’s tennis:
Official Website: http://www.gatorzone.com/tennis/women/
Twitter: @GatorZoneTennis and @GatorZoneNews