Friday May 10, 2013Cal defeats Florida State 4-1 to Advance to Second Round
In the first match of the Gainesville Regional, the University of California defeated Florida State University, 4-1, on Friday, May 10 at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears will take on the winner of the Denver-Florida match on Saturday, May 11 at 4 p.m.
"It was, by no means, an easy match today, very tough," Cal head coach Peter Wright stated. "We won a lot of the first sets out there in the singles. Florida State, they battled hard and it really looked like they had a chance to turn the match around late in that match. It was a great match out there."
California jumped out to an early 1-0 advantage after securing the doubles point. Florida State's Dominic Cotrone and Blake Davis, the 14th ranked pair in the nation, defeated UC's Campbell Johnson and Christoffer Konigsfeldt on Court One. The Golden Bears responded with victories at second and third doubles to take the point and lead heading into singles play.
"The doubles point was critical for us," Wright said. "Coming out, it was a pretty warm day for us and I felt like that gave us a lot of momentum going into singles."
Cal's Mads Engsted recorded a 6-4, 6-1 victory against FSU's Christian Gonzales-Mendez at fifth singles to extend the team's lead to 2-0. Five minutes later, the Seminoles tallied their first point. Cotrone, the 92nd ranked singles player, defeated Cal's Ben McLachlan 7-5, 6-3 on Court One.
Only minutes later, the Golden Bears secured a trip to the second round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Championships with victories at third and fourth singles.
"I think whoever we play tomorrow, it is going to be a great match," Wright concluded. "This is a real tough regional, probably one of the toughest ones out there to get through. That being said, almost everyone has an equal chance of getting through it. This is going to be a great college match tomorrow no matter what happens."
2013 NCAA MEN'S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS
#18 California vs. #33 Florida State
May 10, 2013 at Gainesville, Fla.
(Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex)
California 4, Florida State 1
1. #14 Dominic Cotrone/Blake Davis (FSU) def. #26 Campbell Johnson/Cristoffer Konigsfeldt (UC), 8-4
2. #65 Mads Engsted/Ben McLachlan (UC) def. Anderson Reed/Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU), 8-5
3. Gregory Bayane/Chase Melton (UC) vs. #78 Andres Bucaro/Michael Rinaldi, 8-6
1. #92 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) def. #38 Ben McLachlan (UC), 7-5, 6-3
2. #86 Cristoffer Konigsfeldt (UC) vs. Benjamin Lock (FSU) 6-3, 3-5 unfinished
3. #60 Campbell Johnson (UC) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Gregory Bayane (UC) def. Anderson Reed (FSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Mads Engsted (UC) def. Christian Gonzales-Mendez (FSU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Riki McLachlan (UC) vs. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) 6-2, 2-5 unfinished
California 15-9; National ranking #18
Florida State 18-11; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (5, 1, 4, 3)
California advances to the second round and will face the winner of Denver-Florida