Monday April 1, 2013Florida Baseball Faces UCF On Tuesday Night To Complete Homestand
Florida (13-16/4-5 SEC) wraps up a four-game stretch at McKethan Stadium by hosting UCF (18-11/4-2 C-USA) on Tuesday at 7 p.m. The Gators downed the Knights in Orlando on Feb. 19, 5-3.
UF bounced back from a 4-3 loss in 11 innings to No. 11 Ole Miss on Friday night with back-to-back shutouts (7-0, 4-0) over the Rebels to take the series. UCF split its first two games with Southern Miss (1-4, 4-3) before dropping Saturday’s finale, 4-3.
The contest between the Gators and Knights will be carried live on FOX Sports Florida in Gainesville on Channel 70 and 1070 (HD) with Nick Belmonte & Mick Hubert and streamed on GatorVision. Jeff Cardozo and Steve Russell will call the action for the Gator IMG Sports Network. Live audio and stats will be available on GatorZone.com and fans can also follow updates of each game on @GatorZoneBB, the official Twitter account of the Gator baseball program.
Quick Hits About the Gators
· Florida rebounded from a 4-3 setback in 11 innings on Friday to take the final two games of its series with No. 11 Ole Miss by scores of 7-0 and 4-0.
· The Gators have played their last seven contests against ranked opponents, compiling a 3-4 (.429) mark.
· UF is 6-7 (.462) versus Sunshine State foes this spring - 1-0 vs. UCF, 0-3 vs. FGCU, 0-2 vs. Florida State, 2-0 vs. Jacksonville, 2-1 vs. Miami and 1-1 vs. North Florida.
· Florida has played the toughest schedule to date in the nation, as its opponents have a combined record of 530-194 (.732).
· Sophomore C Taylor Gushue (Boca Raton, Fla.) (.277) enters the week on a career-high five-game hitting streak in which he is 6-for-16 (.375) with five runs, two RBI and two doubles.
· Senior 1B Vickash Ramjit (Miami, Fla.) (.292) was a team-high 5-for-12 (.417) over the three games with Ole Miss, including a two-run homer on Sunday.
· Sophomore OF Justin Shafer (Lake Wales, Fla.) (.325) leads the SEC with 12 doubles and is coming off of a 5-for-13 (.385) weekend in which he scored a team-high four runs.
· The Gator pitching staff compiled an ERA of 0.93 in the series with the Rebels, highlighted by consecutive shutouts on Saturday and Sunday for the first time since March 10 & 12, 2010.
· Ole Miss batted just .140 (13-for-93) and was out-scored by the Gators, 14-4.
· Sophomore Mike Fahrman (Tampa, Fla.) started the final two games of the UM series at designated hitter and was 3-for-6 (.500) with two doubles. His first collegiate hit and RBI were a two-bagger in the second inning of game two that brought home a pair of runs.
· Junior RHP Jonathon Crawford (Okeechobee, Fla.) (1-4, 4.46) became the first Gator hurler to be named the SEC Pitcher of the Week since Hudson Randall in 2011 by tossing a two-hit shutout on Saturday.
· Freshman LHP Danny Young (Boca Raton, Fla.) (1-2, 3.12) collected his first win in his SEC starting debut on Sunday, when he limited Ole Miss to one hit in 5.1 innings.
· Sophomore RHP Johnny Magliozzi (East Milton, Mass.) (2-1, 1.84) worked 3.2 scoreless innings in the finale to secure his fifth save in six opportunities.
· Florida is 10-13 (.435) at McKethan Stadium this year and will play its next four games on the road at No. 17 Mississippi State this weekend and at No. 5 Florida State next Tuesday.
· The Gators are 6-7 (.462) when playing error-free baseball this year and sport an 8-3 (.727) mark when scoring in the first inning.
· UF is 25-of-39 (.641) on the basepaths this spring, led by five thefts by freshman OF Harrison Bader (Bronxville, N.Y.) and three by four different players.
The Gators have taken seven of the past 11 meetings against the Knights and collected a 5-3 win in Orlando on Feb. 19. Kevin O’Sullivan is 5-2 (.714) against UCF, 3-1 (.750) in Gainesville and 2-1 (.667) in Orlando.
Last Meeting Between the Gators & Knights
Four different players turned in multiple-hit efforts to lead Florida to a 5-3 victory over UCF in front of a record crowd of 3,678 fans on Feb. 19 at Jay Bergman Field. Redshirt sophomore Zack Powers (Seffner, Fla.) continued his torrid start by going 3-for-4 with his third home run in the past two games and Ramjit (2-for-5) belted his first round-tripper of the season and scored twice.
The Gators’ top two hitters in the lineup were a combined 5-for-10 (.500), as freshman Richie Martin (Brandon, Fla.) (3-for-5) had a career-high three hits and Bader had two hits and was 2-for-5. Freshman left-hander Parker Danciu (Delray Beach, Fla.) (2-0) worked 3.1 innings, scattering five hits and yielding two runs, to earn the win, while Magliozzi retired all five Knights he faced to record his second save.
Last Meeting in Gainesville
Crawford held No. 19 UCF hitless for 4.1 innings in his collegiate starting debut and Preston Tucker tied the school’s career RBI record as the No. 1 Gators had four pitchers combine on a six-hit, 8-0 victory on Feb. 22, 2012, at McKethan Stadium. UF’s first shutout of the season marked the first time that it had held the Knights scoreless since a 10-0 win on April 12, 1977, and for only the second time in school history.
After pitching 3.2 innings as a freshman, Crawford limited the Knights to a pair of singles over five shutout innings. He was followed to the mound by Daniel Gibson (Lutz, Fla.) (2.0 IP, 1 H), Bobby Poyner (Wellington, Fla.) (1.0 IP, 1 H) and Ryan Harris (Jupiter, Fla.) (1.0 IP, 2 H).
Six of the Gators’ 10 hits went for extra bases, including a homer and double by both Daniel Pigott (2-for-3, two runs) and Tucker (2-for-4, two runs) and a pair of two-baggers by Mike Zunino (3-for-4, two runs).