Sunday March 24, 2013Men's Tennis Falls at Auburn, 4-0
The Florida men’s tennis team was shut out on the road on Sunday afternoon, losing 4-0 at Auburn. The Gators fall to 9-7 on the season and 3-3 in the Southeastern Conference, while the Tigers improved to 11-6 overall and 3-4 in the league.
“We give Auburn a lot of credit for playing well today,” said head coach Bryan Shelton. “We did not do a very good job of coming out with the intensity and competitive spirit, which should be a given. We can and must do better.”
Auburn got on the board early by winning the doubles point. Dennis Lengsfeld and Lucas Lopasso beat UF’s Gordon Watson and Billy Federhofer, 8-3, on court two and then the Tigers clinched the point with an 8-6 win on court three, as Lukas Ollert and Joseph Van Dooren beat the Gators’ Mike Alford and Florent Diep.
In singles play, Lengsfeld gave Auburn a 2-0 lead in the match after beating Alford, 6-2, 6-3, on court three. Ollert defeated Bob van Overbeek at No. 3 singles, 7-6 (4), 6-4.
Andreas Mies, ranked 46th, beat Diep in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 1 singles to clinch the match. The remaining matches were not finished.
After a five-match road swing, Florida returns to Gainesville for two matches next weekend. On Friday, the Gators will host LSU at 5 p.m., and Arkansas comes to town on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match.
Mar 24, 2013
at Auburn, Ala.
Yarbrough Tennis Center
#35 Auburn 4, #18 Florida 0
1. #46 Andreas Mies (AU) def. #75 Florent Diep (UF) 6-4, 6-4
2. #86 Daniel Cochrane (AU) vs. Stephane Piro (UF) 2-6, 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
3. #85 Lukas Ollert (AU) def. #123 Bob van Overbeek (UF) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
4. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Mike Alford (UF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Lucas Lopasso (AU) vs. Billy Federhofer (UF) 3-6, 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
6. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) vs. Luke Johnson (UF) 7-6 (7-5), 3-4, unfinished
1. #3 Andreas Mies/Daniel Cochrane (AU) vs. #57 Stephane Piro/Bob van Overbeek (UF) 7-6, unfinished
2. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Gordon Watson/Billy Federhofer (UF) 8-3
3. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Mike Alford/Florent Diep (UF) 8-6
Florida 9-7, 3-3; National ranking #18
Auburn 11-6, 3-4; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,3,1)
T - 3:22