Friday March 22, 2013Men's Tennis Wins 4-1 at Alabama
The Florida men’s tennis team earned a 4-1 victory at Alabama on Friday, indoors at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. With the win, the Gators improve to 9-6 on the season and 3-2 in the Southeastern Conference. The Crimson Tide falls to 12-6 overall and 3-3 in the league.
Florida opened up by winning the doubles point for the second-straight match. Alabama first won at No. 1 doubles, but UF responded with wins on courts two and three. Billy Federhofer and Gordon Watson beat the Tide’s Becker O’Schughnessey and Daniil Proskura, 8-5, on court two. Florida’s Mike Alford and Florent Diep then clinched the doubles point with a tiebreak victory over Stuart Kenyon and Philippe Tsangarides, 9-8 (5).
Momentum carried over into singles play for the Gators. UF won the first set on four of six courts, and quickly earned the three points needed for the win. Bob van Overbeek was first off the court, defeating No. 79 O’Shaughnessey, 6-3, 7-5, on court three.
Watson beat Tsangarides, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 5 singles to give Florida a 3-0 lead overall. After Alabama got on the board with a win at No. 1 singles, Stephane Piro closed out the Crimson Tide with a win on court two. Piro defeated Proskura, 7-5, 6-4, to clinch the victory.
The Gators will now travel to Auburn for a match on Sunday at 2 p.m. Live scoring will be available online through the Auburn web site. Results will be posted on GatorZone.com after the matches.
Friday, March 22, 2013
Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility
#18 Florida 4, #26 Alabama 1
1. No. 72 Botha/Vieyra (UA) def. No. 57 Piro/van Overbeek (UF) 8-4
2. Watson/Federhofer (UF) def. No. 75 O’Shaughnessey/Proskura (UA) 8-5
3. Alford/Diep (UF) def. Kenyon/Tsangarides (UA) 9-8(5)
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. No. 58 Jarryd Botha (UA) def. No. 75 Florent Diep (UF) 7-6(6), 6-2
2. Stephane Piro (UF) def. Daniil Proskura (UA) 7-5, 6-4
3. No. 123 Bob van Overbeek (UF) def. No. 79 Becker O’Shaughnessey (UA) 6-3, 7-5
4. David Vieyra (UA) vs. Billy Federhofer (UF) 6-2, 3-4, unf.
5. Gordon Watson def. Philippe Tsangarides (UA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Stuart Kenyon (UA) vs. Luke Johnson (UF) 3-6, 6-5, unf.
Order of Finish: 3,5,1,2*