Friday March 15, 2013Florida Men's Tennis Falls at No. 5 Georgia, 4-0
The Florida men’s tennis team lost Friday afternoon at No. 5 Georgia, 4-0, in Athens at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. The Gators fell to 7-6 on the season and are 1-2 in Southeastern Conference action.
Florida seemed to get off to a good start in doubles, as the duo of Billy Federhofer and Gordon Watson beat UGA’s 39th-ranked pair of Garrett Brasseaux and Nathan Pasha, 8-5, at No. 2 doubles. Georgia won on court three, putting the pressure on the No. 1 doubles match between No. 5-ranked Hernus Pieters and Ben Wagland and Florida’s 57th-ranked tandem of Stephane Piro and Bob van Overbeek. After both sides held serve throughout the match to get to 8-8, UGA won the doubles point with a 7-2 decision in the tiebreak.
In singles, the Gators could never get any momentum going. At the No. 3 position, Wagland defeated Piro, 6-2, 6-2, to put UGA ahead 2-0 overall. On court four, Austin Smith earned a win over Florida’s Mike Alford, 6-3, 6-4. To clinch the victory, Brasseaux pulled out a close match against Luke Johnson at No. 6 singles.
Florida will travel to Knoxville, Tenn., to face No. 6 Tennessee on Sunday at 1:00.
#5 Georgia 4, #35 Florida 0
1. #7 KU Singh (UG) vs. #75 Florent Diep (UF) 7-6 (7-1), 2-2, unfinished
2. #39 Nathan Pasha (UG) vs. #123 Bob van Overbeek (UF) 6-2, 5-7, unfinished
3. #71 Ben Wagland (UG) def. Stephane Piro (UF) 6-2, 6-2
4. Austin Smith (UG) def. Michael Alford (UF) 6-3, 6-4
5. #101 Hernus Pieters (UG) vs. Billy Federhofer (UF) 6-7 (2-7), 1-0, unfinished
6. Garrett Brasseaux (UG) def. Luke Johnson (UF) 7-5, 6-4
1. #5 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UG) def. #57 Stephane Piro/Bob van Overbeek (UF) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Gordon Watson/Billy Federhofer (UF) def. #39 Nathan Pasha/Garrett Brasseaux (UG) 8-5
3. KU Singh/Austin Smith (UG) def. Florent Diep/Michael Alford (UF) 8-6
Florida 7-6 (1-2); National ranking #35
Georgia 11-4 (3-1); National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,6)
Official: Walt Williams T-3:02 A-422