Thursday October 18, 2012Gator Women to Compete in SMU Classic Friday and Saturday
The University of Florida womenís swimming and diving team will be competing in the SMU Classic beginning Friday, October 19 and ending Saturday, October 20 in Dallas, Texas at Perkins Natatorium.
The meet will feature six teams from six different conferences, each of which finished last season ranked in the top 25; Southern California (No. 3), Texas (No. 9), Florida (No. 10), SMU (No. 16), North Carolina (No. 19) and Louisville (No. 24).
The SMU Classic is designed to showcase the versatility of each schoolís athletes by limiting the school to eight swimmers and one diver. The format states that each school must have one representative in each race. The complete rules for the meet are below.
The meet will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday and Saturday and live stats will be available through SMUís website once the meet begins.
A swimmer may swim three events per day but one of those must be a relay.
2. Each team enters one swimmer per heat, and the best swimmer must be in the championship heat.
3. The total squad can only be eight swimmers and one diver.
4. There is only one championship heat for relays.
5. The consolation heat will take place before the championship heat.
6. Lane positions will rotate after each event.
7. Scoring is as follows:
- Individual: 16-13-12-11-10-9-7-5-4-3-2-1
- Relays: 24-20-18-16-14-12
Diving events will consist of 6 optional dives on 1-Meter and 3-Meter boards.
400 Medley Relay
800 Freestyle Relay
200 Medley Relay
200 Freestyle Relay