Friday May 11, 2012Washington State Downs Florida State, 4-3, in First Round of 2012 NCAA Women's Tennis Championship
Washington State University defeated Florida State University, 4-3, during the first round of the 2012 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships held at Linder Stadium at the Ring Tennis Complex on Friday.
After losing the doubles point, Florida State stormed back claiming victory on courts three, four and five, to take a 3-1 lead over WSU. The Cougars withstood the ‘Noles punch taking the final three courts to secure victory.
Washington State advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the second time in school history. The Cougars will play Florida on Saturday at 3 p.m.
Post Match Quotes
Washington State Head Coach Lisa Hart
“I’m really proud of our players. I think that the doubles point was huge for us today. I couldn’t be more proud of Luda, Liz and Charlotte, especially at number six pulling that out for the 4-3 win.”
On Charlotte Koning’s win at #6 singles…
“It was a really tight match. It went back and forth a little bit. We’d get up and then FSU would fight back, and all the credit to her, she did a great job competing. I thought we played pretty solid throughout the match and had just a little bit more at the end.”
On her #1 and #2 singles players getting big wins…
“Liz and Luda have come up big for us all year. I wasn’t necessarily surprised but obviously I was happy because we needed them today.”
Florida State Head Coach Jennifer Hyde
“That doubles point was a big difference. We didn’t maintain control on two of those courts and it was pretty costly. We are pretty disappointed to finish our season like this, but give credit to Washington State. They fought hard.”
NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships First Round
No. 31 Washington State vs. No. 35 Florida State
Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex * Gainesville, Fla.
Friday, May 11, 2012
Final Score: Washington State d. Florida State, 4-3
Doubles (order of finish: 3, 1)
1. Ksenia Googe/Andjela Kankaras, WSU d. Amy Sargeant/Carolina De Los Santos, FSU, 8-6
2. Liudmila Vasilieva/Elizaveta Luzina, WSU vs. Leyla Erkan/Ruth Seaborne (86), FSU, DNF
3. Elisabeth Fournier/Charlotte Koning, WSU d. Francesca Segarelli/Mia Vriens, FSU, 8-4
Singles (order of finish: 3, 4, 5, 2, 1, 6)
1. Liudmila Vasilieva (51), WSU d. Leyla Erkan, FSU, 6-4, 6-2
2. Elisabeth Fournier (108), WSU d. Ruth Seaborne, FSU, 6-3, 6-3
3. Francesca Segarelli, FSU d. Ksenia Googe, WSU, 6-1, 6-0
4. Mia Vriens, FSU d. Andjela Kankaras, WSU, 6-2, 6-1
5. Carolina De Los Santos, FSU d. Elizaveta Luzina, WSU, 6-0, 6-2
6. Charlotte Koning, WSU d. Amy Sargeant, FSU, 7-5, 6-4
Updated Records: Washington State (19-5); Florida State (13-11)
NCAA Seeding: Washington State 17-32; Florida State 33-48
ITA National Ranking: Washington State – 31; Florida State 35
*indicates clinching doubles/dual match point