Sunday April 8, 2012No. 9 Florida men's tennis suffers close road defeat at LSU, 4-2
Baton Rouge, La.
Baton Rouge, La.
The ninth-ranked Florida men’s tennis team suffered another close Southeaster Conference defeat, losing 4-2 at No. 27 LSU on Sunday afternoon in Baton Rouge. The Gators fell to 13-8 overall and 6-4 in league play heading into next weekend’s regular-season finale against South Carolina.
Florida got into an early 3-0 hole in the match after losing the doubles point and dropping the top two singles matches. LSU (13-9, 4-6 SEC) secured the doubles point with victories on courts one and three. UF’s duo of Spencer Newman and Bob van Overbeek beat the Tigers’ Roger Anderson and Olvier Borsos, 8-6, on court two.
Borsos defeated van Overbeek, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 1 singles, and then LSU’s Neal Skupski beat Florida’s Tripper Carleton on court two, 6-3, 7-5, to build a 3-0 lead for the Tigers.
The Gators mounted a small comeback, picking up wins at No. 3 and No. 5 singles to cut the deficit to 3-2 in the match. Newman took down Chris Simpson, 6-3, 7-5, on court three for UF’s first point, and then Florent Diep pulled out a three-set win over Stefan Szacinski, 7-6 (0), 2-6, 6-0, on court five.
The deciding point came at No. 4 singles, as LSU’s Tom Knights fought back after losing the first set to defeat Florida’s Billy Federhofer, 5-7, 6-4, 6-1.
The match on court six was halted, but the Tigers’ David Roberts led UF’s Michael Alford in the third set, 2-6, 7-6 (3), 2-0.
Florida closes the regular season next Saturday, hosting South Carolina at 1 p.m. at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex. The Gators will honor their lone senior, Nassim Slilam, before the match.
Florida vs LSU
Apr 08, 2012 at Baton Rouge, La.
W.T. Dub Robinson Stadium
#27 LSU 4, #9 Florida 2
Singles competition (Order of finish: 1,2,3,5,4,6)
1. #55 Olivier Borsos (LSU) def. #41 Bob van Overbeek (UF) 6-3, 6-3
2. #73 Neal Skupski (LSU) def. #49 Frank Carleton (UF) 6-3, 7-5
3. Spencer Newman (UF) def. #98 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Tom Knights (LSU) def. Billy Federhofer (UF) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1*
5. Florent Diep (UF) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 7-6 (7-0), 2-6, 6-0
6. David Roberts (LSU) vs. Michael Alford (UF) 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 2-0, unfinished
Doubles competition (Order of finish: 1,3,2)
1. Neal Skupski/Chris Simpson (LSU) def. #10 Nassim Slillam/Billy Federhofer (UF) 8-2
2. Bob van Overbeek/Spencer Newman (UF) def. Olivier Borsos/Roger Anderson (LSU) 8-6
3. Tom Knights/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Frank Carleton/Andrew Butz (UF) 8-4*