Florida Gators Strength and Conditioning
The University of Florida Strength and Conditioning department has unpaid internship opportunities available for fall, spring and summer semesters. The volunteers chosen to participate will gain valuable experience in the coordination of intercollegiate sports, strength and conditioning program design, implementation of proper lifting techniques, creation of off-season training manuals, and the art of being a coach.
The minimum qualification to participate is to be entering your second semester of your sophomore year in a college degree program in Exercise Science, Anatomy, Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Biomechanics, Measurement and Evaluation, and/or Nutrition.
The position responsibilities are diverse and may include but are not limited to: assisting in floor supervision, stocking nutrition closet, working with excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint, set-up and break down of lifts, being taken through workouts, and equipment maintenance and cleaning.
Internships are divided into Two Tiers:
- Tier one: An introduction to strength and conditioning principles. Tier one is for learning and observing various training techniques and methods. Minimum of 15-20 hours a week will be expected. The Goal of tier one is that an intern will have an understanding of strength and conditioning field and be ready to advance to tier two.
- Tier two: The art of strength and conditioning and being a strength coach. This is for interns that have completed tier one or come highly recommend from another program. Tier two interns will assist in the training and coaching of athletes. Minimum of 30-40 hours a week will be expected. The Goal of Tier two is the intern will be ready to make the next step in their strength and conditioning field.
The volunteer interns chosen to participate must be available for a non-traditional work schedule, which may include varied hours Monday through Friday, as well as weekends.
Inquiries must be received during application period below:
- March 1st through 15th for Summer semester: (Mid May to Mid August)
- May 1st through 15th for Fall semester: (Mid August to Mid December)
- October 1st through 15th for Spring semester: (Mid January to Mid May)
If qualified send a letter of interest, resume and three professional references to:
University Athletic Association, Inc.
Attention: Paul Chandler
P.O. Box 14485
Gainesville, FL 32604-2485
(352) 375-4683 x4940
The University of Florida Strength and Conditioning department also offers Practicum/Internships through the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa). For more information visit the CSCCa website or contact Karin Werth, by email.