Softball2010 NCAA Women's College World Series
In the second game of the day, Bethune-Cookman (32-24) and FIU (37-20) battled into the 10th inning before either team got on the board. The Golden Panthers tallied two in the top of the 10th to take the 2-0 victory.
FIU senior right-hander Kasey Barrett (19-12) went the full 10 innings, allowed eight hits and two walks while striking out six in her eighth shutout of the season. Wildcats’ junior righty Allison Garcia (25-16) also pitched a complete game, giving up the two runs, both earned, allowed seven hits, two walks and struck out four.
After nine scoreless innings, with one down in the 10th, junior Seldi Soberon legged out an infield single and advanced to second on a sac bunt. Freshman Beth Peller drove in the first run of the game with a double to left center. Sophomore Ashley McClain kept things going with a double, scoring Peller.
Bethune-Cookman Head Coach Chris Cochran
“We certainly had opportunities to score I thought a couple of times and we were unsuccessful, but a lot of that was due to FIU. This is the third time we played them this year. The first time we got bombed, the second time was 3-2 and then there was today. I thought offensively, we came out a little bit better than we had the first time, I was happy to see that. It’s not too often that you are able to keep yourself in a game for 10 innings when you make 4 errors. We did make good plays when they put runners into scoring position. Allie had a couple of key strikeouts there to end innings everyone kept working, I was proud of that and our effort.”
Bethune-Cookman Senior Pitcher Allison Garcia
On pitching the complete 10-inning game:
“I have pitched this deep into a game before. Prior to this I have done a lot of conditioning, pitching back-to-back games, so it didn’t really have much of an impact on me. “
Bethune-Cookman Freshman Shortstop Aurelia Gamch
On her freshman season at Bethune-Cookman
“The whole year was awesome. We are a great team adding more confidence because of how well we did going as far as we did.”
FIU Game Notes
· FIU improved to 37-20 on the season with its first NCAA Tournament victory in school history.
· The Golden Panthers improve to 3-0 this season vs. Bethune Cookman and 11-3 all-time in school history.
· Senior pitcher Kasey Barrett pitched for a career-high 10.0 innings, also a new record high for the team this season. Barret also ties FIU's all-time single-season list for shutouts with seven.
· Barrett did not allow a hit until the seventh inning.
· Junior center fielder Seldi Soberon scored the first run of the game in the 10th inning, her seventh of the season.
· Freshman left fielder Beth Pellicer also scored for the Golden Panthers in the 10th, marking her 28th run of the season. She also hit her fourth double of the season in the game.
Bethune-Cookman Game Notes
· Bethune-Cookman, the 2010 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Champion, ended its season with a 32-24 overall record.
· Senior pitcher Allison Garcia pitched a season-high 10.0 inning game breaking her previous high of nine innings, also a season high for the team.
· Saturday’s game marked just the fifth time Bethune-Cookman has been shut out this season.