Softball2010 NCAA Women's College World Series
UCF (36-21) earned the first win of the 2010 Gainesville Regional with a 7-1 victory over FIU (36-20). Senior right-hander Ashleigh Cole (24-13) tallied the win, allowing five hits, one run, one walk and striking out three in a complete-game effort. FIU starter senior righty Kasey Barrett (18-12) shouldered the loss, going 1.2 innings, allowing four hits, six runs, one walk and struck out two. Sophomore relieve Jennifer Gniadek finished the game, allowed one hit, one run, two walks and struck out five.
The Knights tallied their first run of the game in the first as Tiffany Lane started things off with a single up the middle. She moved to second on a illegal pitch and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. She scored on a hard-hit single by Hillary Barrow. UCF tallied five runs in the second as Natalie Land drew a bases-loaded walk to give the Knights a 2-0 lead. Barrow slammed her second career grand slam with two outs to put UCF up six.
FIU got on the board in the sixth when Brie Rojas smoked a double to center, plating Ashley McClain, who hustled from first to tally the Golden Panthers’ only run.
UCF finished its scoring when Gniadek released a wild pitch with the bases loaded.
FIU Head Coach Beth McClendon
“I thought we showed up and just didn't play our typical game. That wasn't the team we've had all year and you're going to get a different look from FIU tomorrow.”
FIU Senior Pitcher Kasey Barrett
On giving up a grand slam to UCF’s Hillary Barrow in the second inning:
“I just didn't have my best stuff today and I missed one pitch. Tomorrow is a new day.”
UCF Head Coach Renee Luers-Gillispie
“We did a really good job of coming out and controlling the game. Ashleigh [Cole] did a nice job of getting her changeups in, keeping their team off balance because they are such an aggressive hitting team.”
UCF Senior Third Baseman Hillary Barrow
On her grand slam in the second inning:
“I just feel excitement, relief and I’m glad I could give [Ashleigh] Cole a good lead.”
UCF Senior Pitcher Ashleigh Cole
On the importance of the grand slam by Hillary Barrow in the second inning:
“The grand slam was huge because when we can score that many runs it takes a lot of pressure off, even on the defense. We are still pushing, but don’t have to play as tight.”
- FIU fell to 36-20 overall on the season with the 7-1 loss to UCF on Friday.
- This is the second time that FIU has appeared in the NCAA Tournament, falling to 0-3 all-time in NCAA tournament play. The Golden Panthers received an at-large bid in 2003 but lost to Mississippi State and Creighton in the Nebraska Regional.
- Friday’s game marked the eighth time that FIU has scored fewer than two runs this season.
- Freshman second baseman Brie Rojas recorded two hits in the game to lead the Golden Panthers. It marked her 19th multi-hit game of the season.
- Sophomore pitcher Jennifer Gniadek struck out a season-high five batters in relief of starter Kasey Barrett.
- UCF improved to 36-21 overall with the 7-1 win against FIU.
- UCF advances to play the winner of the Florida/Bethune-Cookman game at 1 p.m. ET Saturday.
- UCF improves to 3-2 all-time vs. FIU.
- The Knights are 5-4 all-time in the NCAA Tournament in their third all-time NCAA Tournament appearance.
- Senior third baseman Hillary Barrow launched her second grand slam of the season and finished the game with a career-high-tying five RBI. She also had five RBI against UTEP in the second game of a double header on May 8, 2010.
- Barrow increased her season RBI total to 43, which ranks third in Conference USA this season.
- Senior pitcher Ashleigh Cole recorded her 71st career complete game on Friday, to run her record to 24-13 this season.