Classes began on the new Gainesville campus of the University of the State of Florida -- with 102 students enrolled.
That's the intersection of University Avenue and 13th street, pictured left.
A bill supporting higher education in the state was passed 56 years earlier, in 1853, with four colleges branching out around the state. One of them, East Florida Seminary, was based in Ocala, Eau Galle and Lake City before deciding on Gainesville as its permanent site.
The name of the university was shortened in 1909 to "University of Florida."
The school's first nickname, "Alligators," came a few years later.