2008 Rule Changes
The following rule changes have been made for the 2008 season:
- 5-yard face mask penalty eliminated. Foul is only for twisting, turning or pulling the face mask and is for 15 yards.
- Sideline infractions - first two are fouls for delay of game (5-yards) each after is sideline interference (15 yards).
- When an official signals the ball is dead the play clock begins a 40-second count. In the event the ball is not ready to be snapped after 20 seconds into the count, the referee shall declare a timeout and signal that the play clock be set at 25 seconds. When play is to be resumed, the referee will give the signal and the play clock shall begin the 25-second count.
- If the officials signal the game clock to be stopped for any of the following reasons, the referee shall signal that the clock should be set at 25 seconds:
- Penalty administration
- Charged team timeout
- Media timeout
- Injury timeout
- Change of possession
- Following a kick down.
- Start of each period.
- Start of a team’s series in extra period.
- Instant replay review.
- Other administrative stoppage.