GatorZone.com is experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later.
Back to History
|1996 SEC CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON
|Order Championship Video
The 1996 season was a storybook year for the Gator football team. The team once again posted a 12-1 overall season mark and a perfect 8-0 record in the SEC. A 45-30 victory over Alabama not only gave Florida its fourth straight SEC Championship, but with Texas' upset victory over Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship game earlier in the day, it gave Florida a second straight berth in the National Title game. This time, Florida would not be denied as they defeated Florida State 52-20 in the Sugar Bowl.
- The Gators won their first ever National Championship and finished the season with a 12-1 record.
- The Gators went a perfect 8-0 in the SEC for the second straight year winning their fourth straight SEC Championship.
- Danny Wuerffel won the Heisman Trophy and became only the second Florida player to be given this honor (the other was Steve Spurrier in 1966).
- Wuerffel, Reidel Anthony, and Ike Hilliard all earned consensus First Team All America honors.
- Led the nation in touchdowns during the season (76) and average points per game (46.6).
- Their 32-point victory over Florida State in the Sugar Bowl was the largest margin of victory over a #1 ranked team in bowl history.
- The Gators were ranked #1 for 11 weeks during the season which is more than any other team in UF football history.
- 7 All American performers.
- 10 All-SEC performers.
© 1998 - 2014 University Athletic Assoc., Inc., Sun Sports & IMG College. All Rights Reserved.