|Feb. 2008 - 2009||Florida (Running Backs)|
|2004-07||Vanderbilt (Running Backs/Recruiting Coordinator)|
|2001-03||Penn State (Wide Receivers)|
|2000||Pittsburgh (Running Backs)|
|1999||LSU (Outside Linebackers)|
|1997-98||The Citadel (Assistant Head Coach)|
|1994-96||The Citadel (DE; RB; Recruiting Coordinator)|
|1993||Furman (Tight Ends)|
- Possesses 16 years of collegiate coaching experience, including trips to the Insight Bowl, Capital One Bowl and FedEx BCS National Championship. He has mentored several NFL draft picks, including wide receiver Bryant Johnson, who was selected in the first round by the Arizona Cardinals in 2003.
- In his first season with Florida, led a running back corps that amassed over 1,800 yards on the ground with 16 touchdowns. Among his many talented backs, Carter mentored Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps, who combined for over 1,200 rushing yards in their freshman campaigns.
- Florida led the SEC in rushing offense, averaging 231.1 yards on the ground per game. The average marked the highest in school history since 1989 (244.8 yards/game).
- Served as the running backs’ coach and recruiting coordinator at Vanderbilt from 2004-07 before joining the coaching staff at Florida. During that time, he mentored many talented running backs. His 2007 running back corps of Cassen Jackson-Garrison, Jared Hawkins and Jeff Jennings combined for 1,207 yards.
- Spent three seasons (2001-03) serving as the wide receivers’ coach under Joe Paterno. Prior to his post at Penn State, he spent a season leading the running backs at Pittsburgh. It was there where he mentored three future NFL players in one backfield – Kevan Barlow, Nick Goings and Lousaka Polite.
Prominent Players Coached
- RB CASSEN JACKSON-GARRISON: Finished his Vanderbilt career in 2007, tied as the eighth-leading rusher in Vanderbilt history with 1,814 career yards.
- WR BRYANT JOHNSON: A first-team All-Big Ten pick in 2002 and first-round 2003 NFL Draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals. Ranks among the all-time Penn State leaders with 110 career receptions and 2,008 career receiving yards.
NFL Players (Round Drafted)
- RB Kevan Barlow (3rd) – Pittsburgh ’01 – San Francisco 49ers
- WR Bryant Johnson (1st) – Penn State ’03 – Arizona Cardinals
- SS Norman LeJeune (7th) – LSU '03 – Philadelphia Eagles
- RB Kestahn Moore (FA) – Florida ’09 – Denver Broncos
Four-year letterman at linebacker for The Citadel from 1986-89.
Birthdate: Dec. 2, 1967
Hometown: Camden, S.C.
Education: 1990 - Bachelor's Degree in Health/Physical Education from The Citadel
Family: Married to Bonnie Carter. Has two children, Brey (21) and Kennedy (12).
|Bowl Games as a Coach|
|2009||BCS National Championship|