- Re-joined the UF coaching staff on January 10th, 2002, after a seven-year tenure working for Gator Boosters, Inc.
- 21 years of collegiate coaching experience, including 13 at UF and 16 in the state of Florida.
- Before working with Gator Boosters, previously spent 10 seasons as a UF assistant coach (1985-94), the last five as defensive tackles coach.
- Nine bowl games as a coach (1987 Aloha, 1988 All-American, 1989 Freedom, 1992 Sugar, 1992 Gator, 1994 Sugar, 2003 Outback, 2004 Outback and 2004 Peach) and two as a player (1966 Sugar and 1967 Orange).
- Eight defensive tackles have signed NFL contracts, including first-round pick Ellis Johnson, Brad Culpepper and Tony McCoy.
- Three players have earned All-American recognition (Brad Culpepper, Ellis Johnson and Kirk Kirkpatrick)
- Five players have earned All-SEC honors (Brad Culpepper, Ellis Johnson, Kirk Kirkpatrick, Tony McCoy and William Gaines).
- Coached under the four Gator head coaches (Galen Hall, Gary Darnell, Steve Spurrier and Ron Zook).
- In 1990, his defensive tackles played a big role on a Gator defense that ranked fifth in the nation against the run. Florida yielded just 85.5 rushing yards per game, the lowest average in school history, at the time. UF held three schools to less than 20 yards rushing.
- In 1991, helped coach a defense that ranked sixth best in the nation and tops in the SEC against the run (100.3 ypg). UF allowed only seven rushing touchdowns all season. Both of his starting defensive tackles (Brad Culpepper and Tony McCoy) received All-SEC recognition.
- Coached 1994 National Defensive Player of the Year Award winner Ellis Johnson.
- DT Brad Culpepper won the Draddy Award as the nation's premier Scholar-Athlete in 1991.
- DT David Barnard was selected first-team SEC All-Freshman by the Knoxville News in 1992.
- DT Ray McDonald was named to the freshman All-America Team by the Scripps/FWAA and was an SEC All-Freshman team selection by The Sporting News and Knoxville Sentinel in 2003.
- Lettered at the University of Florida for three years (1964-66). Started at middle guard for Florida teams that played in the 1966 Sugar Bowl and 1967 Orange Bowl. Co-captain of the 1966 team and received All-SEC and honorable mention All-America honors for his play that season.
Prominent Players Coached
- P RAY CRISWELL - Set school record for career punt average (44.4). Averaged 44.7 yards per punt in 1985. Recorded the fourth longest punt in school history (73 yards). Played with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- DT BRAD CULPEPPER - Recipient of the 1991 Draddy Award as the nation's premier Scholar-Athlete. First-team All-America selection in 1991. Set school record for tackles for loss (47.4) by an interior lineman (47.4). Toyota Leader of the Year recipient in 1991 and Academic All-American. Chosen in the tenth round by the Minnesota Vikings in 1992.
- DT WILLIAM GAINES - First team All-SEC in 1993. 6th round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 1994.
- DT ELLIS JOHNSON - National Defensive Player of the Year in 1994. All-SEC and honorable mention All-American in 1994. MVP of the 1994 SEC Championship game. First round selection of the Indianapolis Colts in 1995.
- TE KIRK KIRKPATRICK - Earned All-American and All-SEC honors in 1990. 55 receptions in 1990 were the best ever by a tight end in school history.
- DT TONY MCCOY - First team All-SEC choice in 1991. Totaled 17.5 tackles for loss in 1991. Fourth round selection of the Indianapolis Colts in 1992.
- DT RAY McDONALD - Scripps/FWAA freshman All-America team in 2003. Became the first freshman in school history to start 12 games on the defensive line. Finished second on the team in tackles for loss (8.0) and second among defensive lineman in tackles (54) in 2003.
- DT MARCUS THOMAS - Knoxville Sentinel SEC All-Freshman team in 2003. Played in 12 of 13 games as a true freshman in 2003, registering 47 tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss.
NFL PLAYERS (Round drafted)
DT DAVID BARNARD (FA)
- Florida '96- Baltimore Ravens
P RAY CRISWELL (FA)
- Florida '88- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
DT BRAD CULPEPPER (10th)
- Florida '92- Minnesota Vikings
DT WILLIAM GAINES (6th)
- Florida '94- Miami Dolphins
DT ELLIS JOHNSON (1st)
- Florida '95- Indianapolis Colts
DT TRON LaFAVOR (5th)
- Florida '03- Chicago Bears
DE DARRELL LEE (FA)
- Florida '04 - Dallas Cowboys
DT TONY MCCOY
- (4th) Florida '92- San Diego Chargers
DE BOBBY McCRAY
- (7th) Florida '04 - Jacksonville Jaguars
DT HENRY MCMILLIAN (6th)
- Florida '95- Seattle Seahawks
DE CLINT MITCHELL (7th)
- Florida '03- Denver Broncos
DT IAN SCOTT (4th)
- Florida '03- Chicago Bears
Birthdate: February 21, 1945
Hometown: Miami, Fla.
Education: 1968 - B.S. in education and science from the University of Florida; 1977 - M.S. in Administration and school management from Laverne College
Marital Status: Married to the former Mary Jean Weed
Children: Richard (38) and Jennifer (20).