University of Florida Compliance
Employing Enrolled or Prospective Student-Athletes
The University Athletic Association is permitted to arrange employment for prospective student-athletes during the summer prior to their enrollment as freshmen and enrolled student-athletes.
Student-athletes receiving grants-in-aid will be eligible for employment during the regular academic year as well as during the University’s official vacation periods (Christmas, Spring Break, and the summer).
Please note: It is not permissible for a student-athlete to receive compensation related to his or her speaking/lecturing at an institutional athletics booster club function.
The Compliance Office must keep written records verifying all student-athlete employment records. The following rules are applicable to student-athlete employment:
- Employers must receive prior approval before hiring any student-athletes.
- The student-athlete is compensated only for work actually performed at a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services.
- The student-athlete has not been hired based on his or her athletics ability.
- The student-athlete’s name, picture, or likeness cannot be used to advertise, recommend or promote sales or use of a commercial product or service of any kind.
- Transportation to work for student-athletes is not provided unless transportation is provided for all other employees.