- Pamela Begic
- 6' 0"
- Semič, Slovenia
- Gimnazija Ljubljana Ŝiŝka
(updated June 2, 2014)
Name Pronunciation: paw-MEL-uh BIG-ige
· At the team’s 2013-14 postseason awards banquet, received the Mary Elliott Unsung Hero Award (team vote)
Pamela Begić was officially added to the Gator basketball roster on Feb. 4, 2014
· Spent the 2013 Fall as a standout midfielder for the nationally-ranked Gator soccer team that won a share of the 2013 SEC Regular-Season championship
ON THE BASKETBALL HARDWOOD
· Traveled with the team and suited up for the first time at Arkansas (Feb. 6) - 11 games total ... did not play
· Sat on the bench for the first time during the home game vs. Alabama (Jan. 30); did not dress
· Began practicing with the scout team on Tue., Jan. 21
· Played three years (freshman through junior year) in high school in Slovenia ... did not play a fourth year because there weren’t enough players who signed up to make a team
· A coach of the basketball team saw that she was good a ‘fighting for the ball and was tall’ and asked her to play basketball, too
ON THE SOCCER PITCH (2013)
· 2013 Southeastern Conference All-Freshman team
· Tied for third among Gators with six assists, third with four goals and 14 points
· SEC Freshman of the Week on Sept. 9 after turning at least a point in three consecutive matches, including goals at Florida International and versus Oklahoma
· Also scored at Mississippi and headed in UF’s first goal versus Auburn
· First collegiate assist came in the season opener versus Florida Gulf Coast
· Sat out Mississippi State match due to concussion suffered in Auburn match.
· Begić is the first two-sport athlete on the women’s basketball team since Chanda Stebbins (1993-97), who also was a member of the Gator volleyball team
· Carolyn Jordan (1975-76) was the first hoops Gator to play two sports and is one of only two Gators in the history of the UF’s women’s athletics program who has earned a varsity letter in three different sports (basketball, softball and track). The other is Ashley Harris (2004-07), who has earned letters in soccer, softball and track.
· OTHER CURRENT TWO-SPORT GATORS
· Junior Taylor Burke plays goalkeeper for the Gator soccer team in the fall and is a member of the Gator track & field program in the spring as a high jumper.
· Junior Hunter Joyer is a running back for the Gator football team and throws the shot put for the Gator track & field team